Orientation - September 2014
Throughout the first two weeks of September, there will be many activities to help you get familiar with Queen's, Kingston and be ready for your academic studies. Some activities will be specifically for your program, otherwise will be campus wide and will give you the opportunity to find out valuable information and meet fellow graduate students.
As we get closer to September, information about the different events and if you need to register will be posted here. In the mean time keep these dates available.
Tuesday 2nd September
Hosted by: the School of Graduate Studies, Student Affairs and the SGPS.
Time/Venue: 8am - 9am, outside the back of the PEC (between PEC and Queen's Centre)
Time/Venue: 9am - 10am, Bartlett Gym, Physical Education Centre (PEC)
- Presentation by School of Graduate Studies - An overview of specific information on what to expect from your student experience, highlighting some of the major resources you need to know about and to give you an opportunity for Q&A.
Time/Venue: 10am to 12pm, Ross Gym, PEC,
- Resources Fair - resources and support groups for grad students, post-docs and their families at Queen’s and within Kingston. Campus tours will also be available.
Please advise if you are able to attend by completing this registration
This is a free event
Wednesday 3rd September
- Hosted the Centre for Teaching & Learning.
- Time/Venue: all day, venue to be advised.
- Registration for this event directly with CTL.
- This day-long conference will be an opportunity for all students and post-doctoral fellows interested in teaching to meet and learn about new and interesting developments in teaching and learning.
Thursday 4th September
- Hosted by the Office of the Registrar
- Venue: Wallace Hall, JDUC
- Surnames A-M 8:30 to 12:00
Surnames N-Z 12:00 to 4:30
- If any of your students are unable to pick up their photo id on this day, they will be able to the following Monday 8th September back in Gordon Hall.
Friday 5th September
Come out and get some bargains!
Starts at 9am
Venue: University Avenue between Union and Stuart Streets
- Hosted by Athletics and Recreation & the AMS
- Time/Venue: 5pm to 9pm Main Gym the ARC
- “Everything Extracurricular at Queen’s - In the main gym of the ARC find out about athletic clubs, intramurals, fitness programs and aquatic programs. In the Queen’s Centre take a look at all the AMS Clubs.
- And don't forget "Fitness Free-For-All" September 8th-14th - Try any Fitness & Wellness Program for Free!!
Wednesday 10th September
- Hosted by Four Directions Aboriginal Student Centre (4DASC)
- Time/Venue: 4pm to 6pm, 4DASC, 146 Barrie Street
- Meet first & upper year aboriginal graduate students; learn about strategies for enhancing success; learn about our annual writing retreat; meet our Elder
- Hosted by Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC)”
- Time/Venue: 5pm to 7pm in the QUIC offices (Churchill Hall), JDUC.
- This event is for international students to help you transition into life at Queen's, Kingston and Canada. This is an opportunity to be acquainted with some of the issues that graduate student might encounter as well as the support resources available. Social time and light refreshments to follow.
NB: The QUIC offices will be open for extended hours in the lead up to the start of classes. From August 27th to September 7th their hours will be 8.30am - 8pm daily
Graduate Programs - your graduate program will have orientation events planned too, so check with your programs Graduate Assistant for details.
SGPS Social Activities -see details on the SGPS website at http://www.sgps.ca/orientation/
Library Tours – contact your liaison librarian for an information session or a tour at a time suitable to you. The URL for the liaison librarians is: http://library.queensu.ca/research/librarians
Campus Tours – students who want to go on a Campus tour can register at:http://www.queensu.ca/admission/contacts/campustours.html