Orientation - September 2013
Throughout the first two weeks of September, there will be many activities to help you get familiar with Queen's, Kingston and be ready for your academic studies. Some activities will be specifically for your program, otherwise will be campus wide and will give you the opportunity to find out valuable information and meet fellow graduate students.
As we get closer to September, information about the different events and if you need to register will be posted here. In the mean time keep these dates available.
Tuesday 3rd September
Graduate Resources Fair
- Hosted by: the School of Graduate Studies, Student Affairs and the SGPS.
- Time/Venue: 9am to 11am, Biosciences Atrium
- Resources and support groups for grad students and their families at Queen’s and within Kingston. Two campus tours will also be available.
Graduate Information Session – Strategies for Success
- Hosted by: the School of Graduate Studies
- Time/Venue: 11am – 12noon, Biosciences 1101
- An overview of specific information on what to expect from your student experience, highlighting some of the major resources you need to know about and to give you an opportunity for Q&A.
- You can now view this session on our website
Wednesday 4th September
“Teaching Development Day”
- Hosted the Centre for Teaching & Learning.
- Time/Venue: all day, venue to be advised.
- There will be a registration for this event directly with CTL.
- This day-long conference will be an opportunity for all students and post-doctoral fellows interested in teaching to meet and learn about new and interesting developments in teaching and learning.
SAGE (Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement) Meet & Greet
- Hosted by Four Directions Aboriginal Student Centre (4DASC)
- Time/Venue: 5pm to 7pm, 4DASC, 146 Barrie Street
- Meet first & upper year aboriginal graduate students; learn about strategies for enhancing success; learn about our annual writing retreat; meet our Elder
Thursday 5th September
“Photo ID pickup”
- Hosted by the Office of the Registrar
- Time/Venue: all day. As in previous years the time to come will be split alphabetically.
- If any of your students are unable to pick up their photo id on this day, they will be able to the following Monday 9th September back in Gordon Hall.
Sidewalk Sale - University Avenue - Come out and get some bargains! Starts at 9am
Tuesday/Wednesday 10th /11th September – “Tricolour Open House”
- Hosted by Athletics and Recreation & the AMS
- Time/Venue: 5pm to 9pm Main Gym the ARC & Queen’s Centre each night
- “Everything Extracurricular at Queen’s - In the main gym of the ARC find out about athletic clubs, intramurals, fitness programs and aquatic programs. In the Queen’s Centre take a look at all the AMS Clubs.
- And don't forget "Fitness Free-For-All" from 10th - 16th September - Try any Fitness & Wellness Program for Free!!
Wednesday 11th September – “International Student Orientation”
- Hosted by Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC)”
- Time/Venue: 5pm to 6.30pm in the QUIC offices (Churchill Hall), JDUC.
- This event is for international students and their families to help you transition into life at Queen's, Kingston and Canada. Refreshments will be provided
NB: The QUIC offices will be open for extended hours in the lead up to the start of classes. From August 28th to September 8th their hours will be 8.30am - 9pm daily
Other activities to note:
Graduate Programs - your graduate program will have orientation events planned too, so check with your programs Graduate Assistant for details.
SGPS Social Activities -see details on the SGPS website at http://www.sgps.ca/orientation/
Library Tours – contact your liaison librarian for an information session or a tour at a time suitable to you. The URL for the liaison librarians is: http://library.queensu.ca/research/librarians
Campus Tours – students who want to go on a Campus tour can register at:http://www.queensu.ca/admission/contacts/campustours.html