Heat 1 is over for 3MT 2013
Today in Walter Light Auditorium, participants from Heat 1 of the 2013 Queen's 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) put their presentation skills to the test. Ten graduate students in all presented their research for us in just 3 minutes. The top 3 and People's Choice winner all go through to the final on Thursday.
Our winners today were:
- Ryley Beddoe, PhD student in Civil Engineering - Winner and People's Choice
- Joel Roediger, PhD student in Astro physics - 2nd place
- Sharief Oteafy, PhD student in Computing - 3rd place
Our Judges today were:
- Dr Judy Cipot-Wechsler, research scientist with E.I.Dupont company.
- Dr Brian Bennett, Associate Dean, Graduate & Postdoctoral education and Professor in Pharmacology & Toxiocology in the Dept of Biomedical & Molecular Sciences.
- Harry Smith, coordinator of dispute reslution mechanisms, Queen's University
The judges were asked to score on three criteria - Communication style, Comprehension and Engagement. Not an easy task so we are very greatful for their support today.
Ryley Beddoe receives her hoodie
(compliments of the Campus Bookstore)
and presented by Dr Judy Cipot-Wechsler
Meet our Heat 1 participants and judges(from left to right)
Sharief Oteafy (computing), Mohamed Hefny (computing), Ryley Beddoe (civil engineering), Dr Brian Bennett, Dr Judy Cipot-Wechsler, Harry Smith, Joanne Linnay (environmental studies), Abigail Hum (rehabilitation science), Jeremy Durelle (chemistry), Yingli Rao (chemistry), Joel Roediger (astro physics), Mitchell Anderson(physics).
WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!!!