Heat 1 is over for 3MT 2013
Today in Walter Light Auditorium, participants from Heat 1 of the 2013 Queen's 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) put their presentation skills to the test. Ten graduate students in all presented their research for us in just 3 minutes. The top 3 and People's Choice winner all go through to the final on Thursday.
Our winners today were:
- Ryley Beddoe, PhD student in Civil Engineering - Winner and People's Choice
- Joel Roediger, PhD student in Astro physics - 2nd place
- Sharief Oteafy, PhD student in Computing - 3rd place
Our Judges today were:
- Dr Judy Cipot-Wechsler, research scientist with E.I.Dupont company.
- Dr Brian Bennett, Associate Dean, Graduate & Postdoctoral education and Professor in Pharmacology & Toxicology in the Dept of Biomedical & Molecular Sciences.
- Harry Smith, coordinator of dispute resolution mechanisms, Queen's University
The judges were asked to score on three criteria - Communication style, Comprehension and Engagement. Not an easy task so we are very grateful for their support today.
Meet our Heat 1 participants and judges(from left to right)
Sharief Oteafy (computing), Mohamed Hefny (computing), Ryley Beddoe (civil engineering), Dr Brian Bennett, Dr Judy Cipot-Wechsler, Harry Smith, Joanne Linnay (environmental studies), Abigail Hum (rehabilitation science), Jeremy Durelle (chemistry), Yingli Rao (chemistry), Joel Roediger (astro physics), Mitchell Anderson(physics).
WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!!!