Accessible Event Planning
This document is available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact the Accessibility Hub Coordinator.
The following are some of the key considerations in accessible event planning:
- Include the following statement in all of you event announcements: The Department of ____________ is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us if you have any particular accessibility requirements (include contact telephone number and email address).
- Allow enough time to deal with most eventualities. Securing an ASL/English (sign language) interpreter, for example may require up to three (3) weeks advance notice.
- Queen's Strategic Procurement Service (SPS) maintains a detailed preferred vendors lists. Queen's University has entered into Vendor of Record agreements for various goods and services and has an Ontario Education Collaborative Marketplace (OECM) agreement with a company providing Translation, Interpretation and American Sign Language (ASL) for events and meetings.
- Ensure all event-related documents are accessible or can be converted to alternate formats. Click for more information on accessible documents.
- Some types of events are more accessible than others. Events where attendees are required to stand for long periods of time (e.g., greet and meet events) may not be welcoming to persons who use wheelchairs or who cannot stand for long periods of time.
- Book rooms and locations on campus that allow for ease of access for persons who use wheelchairs or who have mobility disabilities. Consider the proximity of the nearest main entrance, elevators and accessible washrooms.
- Central Room Reservations FAQ and Policies (Queen's Event Services) - Central Room Reservations is responsible for providing access to a portion of classrooms and theatres that are not being used for teaching or other academic purposes.
- Queen's University - Facility Bookings – information about booking facilities at Queen's University.
- Classroom Information including accessibility features (Campus Planning and Development)
- Campus Accessibility Guide