Support services for students in distress
Good mental health is a key part of student wellness and success. One in four university and college-aged students will experience a mental health problem. Please know that there are things we all can do to help people in distress.
If you are experiencing distress, there are on-campus and community resources to support and help you.
If a friend talks to you about feeling overwhelmed and isolated, or of being in emotional pain that is too great to bear, or wanting to harm themselves or end their lives, PLEASE don't ignore this. Listen and be supportive, and encourage them to talk to someone who can help.
- The university's 24-hour emergency line is 613-533-6111
- Health, Counselling & Disability Services (HCDS) – 613-533-2506
Call for an appointment with a doctor or nurse for confidential support
- Counselling Service at HCDS – 613-533-6000-78264
Call for an appointment with an experienced professional counsellor for confidential crisis support or 1:1 counselling
- University Chaplain – 613-533-2186 for non-denominational support and service
- Queen's International Centre (QUIC) – 613-533-2604
Personal support and referral for international and exchange students
- Alma Mater Society (AMS) Peer Support Centre – 613-533-6000 ext. 75111
For social and personal support from a trained peer support person, drop by Room 34, JDUC or call for an appointment. Open from 2 pm to 10 pm, 7 days a week
- Society of Graduate & Professional Students (SGPS) Advisors – 613-533-3169
Call for advice, advocacy and referrals on issues of well-being
- Campus Security and Emergency Services: call 613-533-6733 for after-hours access to support
- Residence Dons: If you live in Residence, talk to your Don. Your Don will listen, support you, and refer you to appropriate services.
Kingston Community Resources
- Telephone Aid Line Kingston (TALK) (7pm to 3 am) 613-544-1771
- Sexual Assault Centre Kingston (24 hours) 613-544-6424
- Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender Youth Line (Sun-Fri 4-9:30pm) 1-800-268-9688
- Kids Help Phone (24 hours) 1-800-668-6868
- Frontenac Community Mental Health Services (24 hours) 613-544-4229
See also Safety Resource List: Resources at a Glance