Strengthening our Research Prominence
Guide and Support the Research Enterprise
Queen’s is recognized as one of Canada’s outstanding research institutions. To sustain and enhance our research prominence requires that we guide and support our research enterprise, including the continuation of our aggressive pursuit of research funding and re-alignment of university research services.
We must be guided by our Senate-approved Strategic Research Plan (SRP). The four thematic areas, exploring human dimensions, understanding and sustaining the environment and energy systems, creating, discovering and innovating, and securing safe and successful societies, and an underlying emphasis on research excellence, provide a long term focus on progress on the objectives and metrics identified below, to guide investments.
- Increase research support through increasing our research $/faculty ratio by identifying sustainable funding sources for research and increasing faculty external grant applications.
- Improve intra- and inter-faculty and cross-university collaboration to support university research pillars nationally and internationally.
- Improve faculty support services to enhance faculty and staff productivity, research and retention.
- Integrate research to enable active learning and innovation.
- Develop new award programs to recognize faculty for outstanding research.
- Focus on increasing and improving our impact through high peer-reviewed publications, recognized scholarly books and creative activities, and knowledge translation and innovation.
- Research intensity and national position.
- Queen’s share of total Tri-council research funding.
- Number of applications to Tri-council and other external granting agencies, and diversity of external sources from which support is sought.
- Proportion of appointments to Canada Excellence Research Chairs, Canada Research Chairs, and Queen’s National Scholars that are aligned with one or more of the SRP’s thematic areas.