Finalists are chosen for 2013 3MT
The heats in the 2013 3 Minute Thesis competition and the finalists are now known. Four from each heat advanced, along with a Wildcard entry, to total 13 in the final.
The wildcard entry is new this year and follows what the University of Queensland does (the originators of the competition). This participant is chosen by the School of Graduate Studies.
The finalist list for 2013 is: Nida Latif (Psychology), Mitchell Anderson (Physics), Haroon Malik (Computing), Frank Secretain (Mechanical & Materials Engineering), Alaa Al-Helaili (Physiology - DBMS), Joel Roediger (Astro Physics), Sharief Oteafy (Computing), Rana Pishva (Psychology), Laurelle Veloce (Physics), Ryley Beddoe (Civil Engineering), Heather Ridgway (Rehabilitation Sciences), Jasmin Ma (Exercise Physiology - SKHS), Xiaoqian Liu (Education)
Congratulations to you all for making it to the final!
Judges for tomorrow will be:
- Ann Lukits - a journalist for 37 years, including a regular column in the Wall Street Journal called the Research Report
- Hon. Peter Milliken, P.C. is a lawyer and politician and has been a member of the Canadian House of Commons from 1998 until his retirement in 2011
- Principal Daniel Robert Woolf is the 20th Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Queen's University
- Dr Steven Liss is Vice Principal (Research) at Queen’s University
- Linda Ann Daly is a Council Member of The Transitional College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario
Hope to see you all at the finals. Don't forget you can choose your favourite presenter too, by voting in the People's Choice Award.
Venue: Abramsky House, room 032a (new medical building)
Start time: 6pm