How to Set Up Doctoral Oral Thesis Examinations
The designated person in the student's home department (the supervisor, the graduate coordinator or graduate assistant) will schedule the Oral Thesis Examination by filling out the Ph.D. Oral Thesis Examination Form. This form outlines the composition of the Thesis Examining Committee and other details of the thesis examination.
- The completed and signed form must reach the School of Graduate Studies no later than 25 working days before the tentative examination date.
- A hard copy of the thesis (PDF copy if the examiners prefer) is to be submitted to each member of the thesis examining committee 25 working days before the tentative examination date.
- The candidate is to also submit a PDF copy of the thesis to the School of Graduate Studies (email@example.com),for format review. The Thesis Coordinator will notify the candidate if any corrections are required before the final version of the thesis is submitted to QSpace. Note: if the thesis is too large to send by email, QShare is the best option.
Composition of the Thesis Examining Committee
- Chairperson (selection made by the Thesis Coordinator)
- Head of the Department (or delegate)
- At least one other member of the Department
- At least one faculty member from another Department
- An external examiner from outside Queen's University
With the exception of the Chairperson for Doctoral Programs, it is the responsibility of the Department to select, verify eligibility, and invite all members of the Thesis Examining Committee.
Important: Final approval of the Thesis Examining Committee members lies with the Dean of School of Graduate Studies.
Confidential Report Form: The Thesis Coordinator circulates the oral examination particulars and confidential report forms to each member of the Thesis Examining Committee by email. The confidential report is to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org 5 working days before the oral thesis examination.