University Registrar


University Registrar

site header


Student ID Cards

The Registrar's Office is responsible for the issuance of Student Photo ID Cards.

Please review the following page for more information, including how they are distributed, what they are used for, as well as the cost of replacement.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic - Current Services and 2020-21 Dates and Deadline Adjustments

The Office of the University Registrar (OUR) is here to provide service to you.
We continue to offer online and remote service delivery to help reduce the global spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Our commitment to provide support to you remains our priority during this time and our core operations will continue.  As many staff within the OUR are working remotely, we would ask that your inquiries be directed as follows:
If you need a completed form (e.g. Verification of Enrolment required by an RESP provider to access funds) or letter (e.g.  degree certificate) from us, go to our Document Request page for easy instructions.
We are regularly updating our website and will be adding “how-to” videos to help you get what you need as quickly as possible.
Please continue to monitor the Queen’s University’s COVID-19 webpage ( for the most up to date information.

Fall 2020 Process Changes and Deadline Adjustments

In response to operational changes at the university due to the ongoing global pandemic, the university has implemented initiatives and process changes to help smooth out tuition and fee payments, awards disbursement and registration processes for students. These changes include:
  • Extending the undergraduate / distance Fall 2020 tuition payment date to September 30 from Sept 1, as course registration is happening in August instead of July. This also consolidates due dates for fall term payments  - On September 30, all tuition and fees will be due, including fall residence fees.
  • Extending fall course drop dates, without financial penalty, to week 8 in the fall term, recognizing the need to provide students more time and flexibility to settle into the term and adjust to the impacts of remote course delivery on their academics.
  • Maintaining all entrance bursaries and in-program awards that take into account living expenses, even if they were awarded with an assumption that students would not be living at home.  See:
  • Distributing all financial awards per term, instead of annually. This aligns with tuition deadlines and OSAP allocations, and will help maximize clarity regarding student accounts on a per-term basis.
  • Currently withholding monthly interest fees on unpaid balances.
  • Currently waiving the $150 late fee on overdue accounts
  • Temporarily revising withdrawal and readmission processes to assist graduate students who could not work on degree requirements for Summer 2020 term.
  • Instituting more flexible deadlines for disbursement of all internal funding related to graduate student research.
What is it?

The Student Card is produced from the Student Photo Identification (PID) System, which is an Oracle database where photos are stored.

As part of registration, all full-time on-campus students are required to have a photo ID student card when they first come to Queen’s. It is to be kept for the duration of their studies and is to be used only by the person to whom it is issued. A fee will be charged to replace a lost or damaged student card.

Off-campus photo ID cards are available for NEW students who are not studying full-time on-campus. Further details are available below in the section titled 'I am studying off-campus. Do I need a Student Card?''

What is it used for?

The Photo ID system produces cards which are used to verify the identity of Queen's students. The card also indicates what campus services, including at examinations, the student is entitled to use.

The magnetic stripe on the back of the student card can be used to purchase items at various campus facilities. The bar code on the front of the student card is used for Library Services.

Photos of students are also provided to authorized University staff on an as-needed basis (e.g. campus security, residences and instructors).

The University Registrar's Office, Campus Security, Faculty Offices, Departments, Libraries, the Athletics and Recreation Centre, and many other student services on-campus will ask students for their Photo ID card to complete a transaction.

How do I submit my photo?

The Office of the University Registrar will prepare your photo ID student card prior to your arrival providing you follow the steps below.  If you have any questions please refer to the FAQ’s below.  Still have questions – please contact us via email at or by telephone at 613.533.2040.   

Step 1: Preparing Your Photo

Your photograph should conform to the following guidelines:

  • Head and shoulders only
  • Taken within the last 6 months
  • Good quality - clear image and in colour
  • Looking at the camera
  • Nothing in the background
  • We encourage smiles!

Photos with the following items will not be accepted.

  • Wearing sunglasses, hats or other items that obscure the face
  • Including other people or pets
  • Not looking at the camera – profile shots
  • Making funny faces
  • Digitally altered
  • Black & white, or sepia toned
  • Bad quality (lines through image)
  • Busy background
  • Full body
  • Printed on regular paper

Step 2: Watch your Queen's email for a link requesting a photo ID submission

An email will be sent to registered students @ your email account with details on when and how to upload your photo.


Step 3: Submitting Your Photo via SOLUS

1. Once you have received an email requesting a photo, log into your SOLUS account: visit and click the SOLUS link, then sign in with your Queen's NetID and password.
2. Click on the "Photo Submission for Student Card Preparation" task from the "To Do List" on the right-hand side of the screen:
3. The Task Wizard screen should appear.  Read the information on the first page, then click "Mark as Complete".  Once you have done this, click Next:
4. The second page of the Task Wizard contains information about how Queen's will use your submitted photo.  Please read this carefully, then place a check mark in the box next to "I accept...".  Then click Save, followed by Next:
5. The third page of the Task Wizard asks you to upload your photograph.  Click the "Upload Photo" button, browse on your local device to find your photo, then click the Upload button.  After a brief delay you should see your photo appear on the page; confirm you submitted the correct photo and then click either Save at the bottom of the page or "Mark as Complete" at the top, followed by Next:
6. The final page of the Task Wizard shows general information about the next steps to receive your photo (either through on campus pickup or off campus mailing), and links to the Registrar's website where you can find other information that may be useful for new students.  Once you have reviewed this information click Finish to exit the Task Wizard:



7. Once you have returned to your main SOLUS page, confirm that the "Photo Submission" item no longer appears on your "To Do List."  Congratulations, you have successfully submitted your photo!

  • When: no later than 2 weeks after you receive your email asking you to submit a Photo ID.  If you have not received an email requesting a photo, do not see the "Photo Submission" entry in your "To Do List", and your course begins in less than two weeks, please contact


When will I receive my new card or my validation sticker for my existing card?
How do I get a replacement?

Complete the Student Card Replacement Request Form found here. There is a $20.00 replacement fee for this service and this charge will be applied to your student account.  Pay this fee the same as you pay tuition and other fees to Queen's.  Your replacement card will be mailed to your primary address in SOLUS.  Please ensure this is up-to-date.

I am studying off-campus. Do I need a Student Card?

For programs off-campus (e.g. Arts and Science Online), and part-time non-degree on-campus, a photo ID student card is available and will be requested through your email address.

Your validated off-campus student card (NEW student) or your validation sticker (RETURNING student) will be mailed to your primary address in SOLUS.  Please ensure this is up-to-date at the time you submit your photo.  Full details on how to do this are available at


Why would you want or need a student card?

  • Exams – Queen’s campus exam sites require a photo ID student card; if you do not have one your picture will be taken when you write your exam and you may be charged for not presenting your photo ID student card
  • Library – Queen’s libraries offer off-campus access – details are available on the Library website

Questions:  please feel free to email our Photo ID Assistant in the Office of the University Registrar at or give us a call at 613-533-2040. 

Frequently Asked Questions
I already have a Queen’s photo ID card.  Do I have to submit my photo?

Yes - if you are going to be in a different faculty or school you must send us your photo.  We print the faculty code on your student card.  Example:  You did your undergrad degree here and the code on your card is 'ASC'.  You are now starting your Masters degree.  Your new card will have the code 'SGS'.

How will I get my student card if I do not submit my photo by the deadline?

Complete your activity guide in SOLUS and email us at and let us know when you have completed this.  Your card will be mailed to your primary address in SOLUS..

I am not able to save my photo as a .jpg or .jpeg.  Are there any other options?

Yes.  Please submit the hard copy photo request form and paste your photo to this form.  It is available here.

What do I do if I have lost my card?

Complete the Student Card Replacement Request Form found here. There is a $20.00 replacement fee for this service and this charge will be applied to your student account.  Pay this fee the same as you pay tuition and other fees to Queen's.  Your replacement card will be mailed to your primary address in SOLUS.  Please ensure this is up-to-date.

What do I do if I find my old card?

Once a new card has been issued, your old card is no longer valid. If you find your old card mail it to the Office of the University Registrar, 74 Union St., Gordon Hall, Rm 125, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6.  ATTN:  Student Cards.  Should you lose your new card, we will check our file and if we have your old one, we will issue a new valid card at no cost to you.  Returned cards are kept on file for one academic year, September to August. 

What do I do if my card doesn't work at the library?

If your card will not scan at the library, check the date issued on your card to make sure you are using the most recent card issued to you. Library staff can key in your barcode number and retrieve your file.

What do I do if my card becomes damaged?

If your card is damaged, you can have your card replaced for $20.00.  Complete the Student Card Replacement Request Form found here. The charge for replacing your damaged card will be placed on your student account in SOLUS and you may pay this the same way you pay tuition and any other charges at Queen's.  Your new card will be mailed to your mail address on SOLUS.

What do I do if I have lost my card and need to write an exam?

The charge for not having your Photo ID at an exam is $50.00. You can view the exam rules and regulations by clicking here. The replacement charge for the card is $20.00

My student card doesn't have a photo - how do I get one?

Complete the Student Card Replacement Request Form found here. Watch for an email at your email account advising how you can upload your photo in SOLUS.  There is no charge for this.  Your new card will be mailed to your primary address on SOLUS.  Please ensure this is up-to-date.