Office of the University Registrar - August 2014 Newsletter
We hope that your summer is going well!
As we move ever closer to September and the beginning of the Fall 2014 term, we would ask that you take the time to look at the information below and click on the links for more…
- Course selection closes after August 1st and Open Enrollment starts on September 3rd (September 2nd for Education and Law students).
- If you are an Ontario full-time student, make sure you submit your 2014-2015 OSAP application and all required documentation as soon as possible to ensure your funding will be available in September. Read about tips for reporting scholarships/awards and other types of income on your OSAP application.
- The Fall/Winter Work Study application is open and waiting for you to apply!
- Check out the August/September student card validation schedules! If you are a new student or in a new Faculty/School and have not already submitted your photo for your student card please send this ASAP.
- Fall 2014 Graduation! Have you met your degree requirements to graduate in the Fall? You need to submit an ‘Application to Graduate’ in SOLUS. The Application windows begin from July 15th. Please consult the Applying for Graduation webpage for more information, as well as how to apply.
Please note that there are identified compatibility issues when using Google Chrome to access SOLUS. We ask that applications be made using an alternate web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox).
Undergraduate students who apply to graduate and wish to take classes in the fall term must contact the Arts & Science Faculty office to be admitted to a post-degree program.
- Interested in studying at the University of Oxford in England in 2014-15? There are 11 Rhodes Scholarships available to Canadians each year. Applications from Queen’s are coordinated through the Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs. The 2015 application cycle has begun; Rhodes' on-line application system is now open. The submission deadline to Rhodes is October 17, 2014. For more information on how to apply, please visit the Queen's Rhodes Scholarship webpage
- We are committed to an inclusive and accessible campus community! Student records and resources are available in alternative formats. E-mail email@example.com or come into Gordon Hall, Room 125 for more information.
- Your mail needs you – help it find its way! Don’t miss one important document. Update your address on SOLUS today! Also, please ensure that you update your Emergency Contact at http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/currentstudents/emergcontacts.html.
- Are you getting OSAP? You’ll receive an automatic deferral to September 30th of your September 1st tuition and student assistance levy (SAL) payment on condition that your OSAP amount is greater or equal to the amount of your September 1st payment.
- If you can’t pay your tuition and SAL by September 1st but have a proven source of funding, you need to apply for an Alternative Payment Arrangement now. Information about the APA program can be found on the OUR website at - http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/currentstudents/fees/APA.html
- Applications for the Winter term at the BISC are open! Check out our programs at http://www.queensu.ca/bisc/academics/programs.
- Are you new to Queen’s and wondering what to expect? Q Success is a transition program to help first year students develop knowledge, attitudes, and skills to support their personal and academic success at Queen's. Get key information during the term from peers and professionals, learn and share in small groups of first year peers, and set yourself up for personal and academic success. Sessions start in September and run for the first 9 weeks of Fall Term. Spaces are limited! For more information on how to register, please visit the Q Success website
- Registration information for graduate students can be found here.
- If you are coming to Queen’s for the first time in Fall 2014, be sure to check out the Orientation page on the School of Graduate Studies website!
- You should also take a look at the Society of Graduate and Professional Students’ website to stay up to date on issues that affect you.
- You can enroll in a Pre-Authorized Payment Plan for your fees. If you were on a payment plan in previous years and wish to participate this year, you must re-enroll yourself again for the 2014/2015 Academic Year. To enroll in the Fall 2014 / Winter 2015 PPL, go to your SOLUS account. You will need to ensure your banking information is complete and correct by September 30th so that the Oct 5th, 2014 withdrawal will be successful.
- Add the SGS’s blog, written by fellow grad students, to your blog reader for an inside scoop on grad-related happenings on campus, as well as a personal perspective on the Queen’s graduate studies experience!
If you need help, click on CONTACT US. You can email us, call us, or come in to see us in Gordon Hall!