Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University




Fees: Frequently Asked Questions for Students


Staying on top of your student fees account is an important step toward a successful academic year.

This page provides additional information to help you manage your fees and payments throughout your studies at Queen's.

  • Student Activity Fees


    How do I know if I have to pay Student Activity fees?


    All students who register in 9.0 or more credit-hours in a term, or 18.0 or more over both Fall and Winter terms, must pay Student Activity fees. Any questions regarding activity fees or about opting out procedures should be directed to the AMS Information Officer at Room 044, John Deutsch University Centre, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6; or telephone 613-533-2730; or email:


    Visit the AMS web site for more full information on undergraduate student activity fees.


    Visit the SGPS web site for full information about Student Activity Fees for Graduate, Law, Education and Theology students.

  • Transfer Students
    I am a transfer student. When do I register?


    For information on key registration dates, please click here to view the current Guide to Registration and Fees


    As an upper year transfer student, you will need to follow the key dates for your faculty or school.

  • Payment

    I won't be able to make the full tuition fee payment required by the September 1 deadline. What will happen?


    If the payment is not made by the deadline, you will not lose your place at the University, but you be prevented from adding or dropping additional courses. You could also be charged a registration administration fee. There is an appeal method if an extenuating circumstance exists.



     If I have made alternative arrangements to pay my fees, when will I need to pay the balance outstanding, and how do I know what that will be?


    Tuition is due by September 1st. All other fees are due by September 30th. It is your responsibility to check your balance on SOLUS.


    If someone else is paying your fees, make sure s/he is made aware of the balance prior to September 30.


    A monthly service charge will be charged on any outstanding balance beginning September 30; please see our Service Charge Rates for more information.



    I plan to take a full course load but I am not registered in all of my courses. How do I know what to pay?


    See the fee schedule that applies to you. Make your payment based on the total number of courses that you plan to take, even if you have not yet signed up for all these courses.



    When I view my account activity in SOLUS, I see 'Bank of Montreal' listed. I don't bank with them, so is this a mistake?


    The Bank of Montreal is the financial institution used by Queen's for its transactions.


    When you pay fees to us, that money is sent to BMO who, in turn, transfers the fees to the University.


    Regardless of the bank or financial institution you use, your transaction will appear in SOLUS as coming from BMO.



  • OSAP

    How can I find out how much OSAP money I'll be receiving?


    You will receive information from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities when your OSAP application has been processed.  In the meantime, you can check your account online at .


    Be prepared to enter your OSAP Access Number (OAN) and password.  


    Alternately, you can telephone the Office of the University Registrar at 613.533.2216.



  • Health Insurance

    How do I meet the health coverage requirement?


    The University ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY for uninsured medical or hospital expenses incurred by a student or their dependants.


    If you are an International student, returning Canadian or Landed Immigrant, go to the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) (during office hours).


    If you are a Canadian coming from another province, refer to the Health Insurance questions on FAQs for Parents.


  • Academics

    I have questions about courses I wish to register in. Where should I call?


    If your question is academic (rather than about payments or other registration details) you should call the Department in which you wish to register.


    To do so, telephone 613-533-2000 and ask for the department.


  • Late Registration
    How do I appeal the Registration Administration fee because I have an extenuating circumstance?


    You must appeal in writing.


    More information is available on our Administrative Fee Appeal page.


    Remember, it is your responsibility to keep your mail address up-to-date at all times of the year.


    Non-receipt of the Guide to Registration and Fees, which is mailed to all new students, is not a satisfactory ground for appealing the fee.


  • Residence

    When will I find out which residence room I have been assigned?


    Students will be advised by mail by mid-August by the Residence Business Office.






Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000