Queen's University


School of English

site header

Visa Information


The Canadian Government has two main types of immigration documents: permits and visas.

A study permit is required for anyone that wants to study in Canada for 6 months or more (more than one session).

A temporary resident (entry) visa is required by citizens of some countries to enter Canada. 

How do I apply for a study permit?

For details on applying for a study permit, please visit the the Studying in Canada web page of the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) website. 

Can I extend my stay in Canada?

Yes, you can extend your stay in Canada, but if you come to Canada as a visitor (i.e. without a study permit) and want to continue to study, you will need to apply for a study permit. You should allow at least two months to complete the process. We recommend that you plan your studies carefully.

My citizenship requires me to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). How do I apply for it?

A successful study permit will automatically include a TRV, if your citizenship requires it. If you choose not to apply for a study permit, you can apply for a TRV alone. The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) has information about the application process on the Canadian Permits and Visas page of their website.