At the School of English, we welcome applications from individuals whose first language is not English but who have knowledge of the English alphabet and some basic vocabulary. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
To view the admission requirements please view the appropriate program below:
English for Academic Purposes Program (EAP) and Canadian English Experience Program (CEE)
- Applicants should have some basic English language skills. This is because all courses are taught in English and students must speak English at all times - in class and out
- No entrance tests are required
- Students are thoroughly tested upon enrolment for placement in the appropriate level
- Students who wish to remain in the program must obtain an average of 50 per cent
- Students who wish to advance to the next levels must obtain a certificate in the previous level
Canadian Academic English Experience Program (CAEE)
- The CAEE is a short, intensive academic program; therefore, applicants should have intermediate-level English language skills or higher. No entry test is required; however, students with lower language proficiency are unlikely to be successful in this course. An English placement test may be administered at the beginning of the program. Students must speak English at all times.
*Note: The grades obtained in the ESP program have no bearing on placement in the subsequent 12 week long EAP program.
- Students wishing to enjoy weekend sight-seeing trips and excursions outside of Kingston should consider the 3-4 week long Canadian English Experience Program.