PSAC will represent TAs and TFs
The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) will represent Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Teaching Fellows (TFs) at Queen’s. Yesterday’s vote was concluded with 454 in favour of unionization, 351 against and 1 spoiled ballot.
The ballots counted represent about 62 per cent of approximately 1300 eligible voters.
PSAC will be certified by the Ontario Labour Review Board, as the bargaining representative for the employee group.
Details about next steps will follow in the coming weeks.
“We are committed to working with PSAC in the best interests of TAs /TFs and the university, as we do with all representatives of our employee groups,” says Patrick Deane, Vice-Principal (Academic).
Some Queen’s graduate students employed as TAs or TFs will not be represented by PSAC including:
- Supervisors and persons above the rank of supervisor
- Employees for whom a trade union held bargaining rights on March 16, 2010
- Persons who hold appointments to the Academic Staff of the University as defined by the University’s Statement on Adjunct Academic Staff and Academic Assistants
- Persons who hold appointments to the General Support Staff or Research Staff of the university
- Full voting members of the Board of Trustees, and members of the legal or medical profession employed in their professional capacity.