Flags at half mast in memory of Professor Emeritus Russ Kennedy
Flags at Queen’s are lowered and will remain lowered until Monday, June 14 in honour of Professor Emeritus Russ Kennedy, who passed away on June 4 at Kingston General Hospital.
Born and raised in the farming community of Dunrobin, Ontario, Russ studied engineering at Queen’s, graduating in 1941 with a BSc. Soon after, he enlisted in the Canadian Army and in 1943 was posted to England with the 23rd Field Company RCE. Throughout the northwest Europe campaign of World War 2, he served as the company Reconnaissance Officer, returning home in 1946 with a Military Cross for exceptional bravery in action.
After the war, Dr. Kennedy became a lecturer and later a Professor in Civil Engineering at Queen’s. Over the span of 40 years, he served the university in many capacities, including Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, Vice-Principal (Administration), and Executive Director of the Alumni Association. He was one of the first post-war faculty members to become deeply involved in industrial research, in hydraulics, and his outstanding work led directly to the establishment of a Coastal Engineering Laboratory at Queen’s.
Last year, Dr. Kennedy donated his 146-acre property northwest of Kingston – including a tree farm, wetland and river with a weir – for use by engineering students as a field station where they can practice the theoretical principles they learn in the classroom.
A memorial service in celebration of Dr. Kennedy’s life will be held Saturday, June 12 at 2pm in the Ban Righ Fireside Room. In lieu of flowers, In Memoriam donations to the charity of your choice would be appreciated.