Trouble Shooting FAQs
Some common concerns experienced by students include the following:
Question - Do I feel overwhelmed, under constant pressure, easily derailed, down on myself, or incompetent?
- Encouraging myself
- Altering my expectations
- Examining the "fit" of my program
- Reviewing my past results....any bright spots?
- Working with and get support from a friend
- Scheduling satisfying work breaks
- Building balance into my life (rest, meals, exercise, relaxation)
Question - Do I spend too much time on MSN, Facebook, gaming, socializing with friends?
How much time is too much time for me?
- Considering school my job
- Doing my work before my pleasure
- Practising saying NO
- Making a contract with a friend
- Rewarding myself with one of those distracting/fun activities
Question - Does it take me a long time to read or process information? Do I get buried in detail or have trouble figuring out what is most important?
- Allowing more time for readings, assignments
- Breaking tasks into smaller sections
- Using visual aids, mind maps to find the patterns or structure of readings
- Finding out about specialized software
- Comparing notes with a friend or Peer Mentor
- Attending a Learning Strategies Development workshop at the Learning Commons in Stauffer
- Talking with a learning strategist in the Learning Commons or at the LaSalle Building