1. Identify your sources of distress, e.g. Disinterest? Behind in work? Poor understanding of new material? Unclear expectations on assignments? Cultural adaptation? Finances too tight? Lonely? Trying to do too many activities?
2. Determine what sources of stress may be under your own control, and what isn't. Aim to "control the controllables".
3. Anticipate stressful events and plan ahead:
4. Change your "mind set" or attitude:
5. Change your behaviour:
6. Change your situation:
7. Learn relaxation techniques or do yoga, T'ai Chi, go for a run, etc.
8. Do what you know works for you- - use your healthy "stress buster" activities
9. Make an appointment with a counsellor in the Counselling Service or a learning strategies consultant
10. Go to the Managing Stress at Grad School module for more strategies