Configuring A BlackBerry For Office 365
Note: The BlackBerry Z10 will not work with our BES v5 server. You will need to use Active Sync Setup to access email.
See: http://www.zensoftware.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle10458.aspx for instructions.
BES Configuration Option For Office 365 (Preferred)
For increased integration features such as synching of Queen’s calendar and contacts data, users should request a BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) account by filling out this form: https://www.queensu.ca/itrack/ITS/studentbes.php. Once this code is obtained complete the following instructions.
If you do not find the option for Enterprise Activation on your phone, RIM has released a free Enterprise Activation app that will activate devices for BES access, over a BIS service plan. You need to install Enterprise Activation on your Blackberry, using AppWorld.
Searching for Enterprise Activation within AppWorld will point you to the download.
Please download and install this on your Blackberry to activate your Blackberry for BES.
Warning: the following screen captures may not accurately reflect your device due to variations in provider (ie; Telus, Bell, Rogers) modifications to the operating system. If you need assistance finding Enterprise Activation settings on your device please consult your provider.
NOTE: If you get Queen’s email through a cellular provider (ie; Bell, Telus, Rogers) - STOP and please contact your cellular provider to request that your JES account get removed from the BIS server. Once you have done this follow the configuration steps below.
- On your BlackBerry go to Options:
- Then select Device:
- Then select Advanced System Settings:
- Then Enterprise Activation: If you do not see Enterprise Activation you will need to download the Enterprise App from BlackBerry App World.
- Select Activate:
- Put in your full NetID@queensu.ca email address and the activation password you were sent upon confirmation of account creation. Click Activate.
- You will now see Activating:
- Once complete you will see the following message:
- And then be asked to restart.
- Once completed and restarted you will see the following:
- Your mail is now in the Messages folder which will contain most communications on the BlackBerry. There is also an icon that looks identical but is named Desktop. That will contain only your email.
BIS Configuration Option For Office 365
Before migration, all students using Blackberry devices accessed Queen's email using the BIS service. Please follow the instructions found here to re-configure your Blackberry for BIS service.
- Using your BlackBerry's Web Browser go to
- If your provider supports it, the following screen will appear.
- Click on Launch Email Setup
- If no accounts are currently configured, the New Account screen will appear. See further down (step 8) if you have existing accounts.
- Enter your email address as email@example.com substituting netid with your personal Netid.
- Enter an incorrect password
- Click Next.
- This will force the setup into Manual Mode, allowing you to select the correct username and server.
- The BlackBerry will now attempt to auto-complete the setup and will fail.
- This will allow you to click on provide additional settings.
- Select IMAP/POP for the account type
- Now enter the correct password
- in the Email server: field enter m.outlook.com
- enter your username as your full email address of firstname.lastname@example.org substituting netid with your personal netid.
- Click Next
- The Success! screen will now appear
- Click Finish
- or you can Add Another Account if you wish to add a Gmail or other Internet Email Account.
- When Finished your account will be listed.
- If you have an existing account when clicking on Launch Email Setup from above, we suggest deleting the account and following all the steps above.
- Accessing the Advanced Settings fails to allow the full email address as your username on many devices. Following all the steps for BIS activation from above will avoid this problem.