Configuring A BlackBerry For Office 365
Adding an ActiveSync Enabled Account on Your BlackBerry 10 Smartphone
Adding an ActiveSync enabled email account to your BlackBerry 10 smartphone is simple and straightforward.
- While viewing theHome screen, swipe down from the top of the screen
- Select Settings > Accounts
- If this is your first account, select the Advanced icon that appears along the bottom toolbar.
- If you have other accounts already, select Add Account followed by selecting Advanced
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync from the Advanced Setup options (for all ActiveSync based accounts regardless of mail platform)
- Enter in the required information, which includes:
Note: optional fields include Description, Domain, toggles for SSL, VPN, and Push, as well as the Sync Timeframe.
- Username - your firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Address -your email@example.com
- Password - your NetID password
- Server Address - m.outlook.com
- Port(443 by default) - leave at 443
- Tap Next to finish configuring the account, and then tap Done.
That’s it! You should now have a BlackBerry 10 smartphone configured with work email via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
Return to Top
BES Configuration Option For Office 365 (Preferred)
Note: BlackBerry 10 phones need to be configured for Active Sync in order to access Queen's email.
For increased integration features such as synching of Queen’s calendar and contacts data, users should request a BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) account by filling out this form: https://www.queensu.ca/itrack/ITS/studentbes.php. Once this code is obtained complete the following instructions.
If you do not find the option for Enterprise Activation on your phone, RIM has released a free Enterprise Activation app that will activate devices for BES access, over a BIS service plan. You need to install Enterprise Activation on your Blackberry, using AppWorld.
Searching for Enterprise Activation within AppWorld will point you to the download.
Please download and install this on your Blackberry to activate your Blackberry for BES.
Warning: the following screen captures may not accurately reflect your device due to variations in provider (ie; Telus, Bell, Rogers) modifications to the operating system. If you need assistance finding Enterprise Activation settings on your device please consult your provider.
NOTE: If you get Queen’s email through a cellular provider (ie; Bell, Telus, Rogers) - STOP and please contact your cellular provider to request that your JES account get removed from the BIS server. Once you have done this follow the configuration steps below.
- On your BlackBerry go to Options:
- Then select Device:
- Then select Advanced System Settings:
- Then Enterprise Activation: If you do not see Enterprise Activation you will need to download the Enterprise App from BlackBerry App World.
- Select Activate:
- Put in your full NetID@queensu.ca email address and the activation password you were sent upon confirmation of account creation. Click Activate.
- You will now see Activating:
- Once complete you will see the following message:
- And then be asked to restart.
- Once completed and restarted you will see the following:
- Your mail is now in the Messages folder which will contain most communications on the BlackBerry. There is also an icon that looks identical but is named Desktop. That will contain only your email.
Return to Top
BIS Configuration Option For Office 365
Before migration, all students using Blackberry devices accessed Queen's email using the BIS service. Please follow the instructions found here to re-configure your Blackberry for BIS service.
- Using your BlackBerry's Web Browser go to
- If your provider supports it, the following screen will appear.
- Click on Launch Email Setup
- If no accounts are currently configured, the New Account screen will appear. See further down (step 8) if you have existing accounts.
- Enter your email address as firstname.lastname@example.org substituting netid with your personal Netid.
- Enter an incorrect password
- Click Next.
- This will force the setup into Manual Mode, allowing you to select the correct username and server.
- The BlackBerry will now attempt to auto-complete the setup and will fail.
- This will allow you to click on provide additional settings.
- Select IMAP/POP for the account type
- Now enter the correct password
- in the Email server: field enter m.outlook.com
- enter your username as your full email address of email@example.com substituting netid with your personal netid.
- Click Next
- The Success! screen will now appear
- Click Finish
- or you can Add Another Account if you wish to add a Gmail or other Internet Email Account.
- When Finished your account will be listed.
- If you have an existing account when clicking on Launch Email Setup from above, we suggest deleting the account and following all the steps above.
- Accessing the Advanced Settings fails to allow the full email address as your username on many devices. Following all the steps for BIS activation from above will avoid this problem.
Return to Top