The Streaming Service provides account owners with the ability to upload video and audio files using a web browser into a "library".
- Each account space is referred to as a library. This is an area where files can be uploaded and managed, including determining publishing and viewing permissions. Each account owner is responsible for the content and permissions assigned to that library. There are two library types: Personal and Departmental.
- All faculty and staff are entitled to a personal library. A personal library includes 15 GB of storage space. The owner of a personal library is the individual for whom the account was created.
- A departmental library includes 25 GB of storage space. Department Heads are responsible for the departmental library and may, at their discretion, assign a delegate to administer the space. Please note, additional fees may apply for Ancillary Departments and ad hoc groups.
Who Can Have It?
- Accounts are available to all active Queen's faculty and staff with a valid NetID as well as University-affiliated departments.
Are There Any Costs?
- The basic service as described above is centrally funded. Additional storage space is available (fees may apply).
- Account owners are encouraged to keep data space usage to a reasonable level. Library owners will be notified when they are close to exceeding quota (at or near 90% of quota used). They will be granted a one-week grace period (based on time stamp of email notification) to reduce the content in the library or acquire additional storage space. Failure to comply may result in suspension of account.
How Do I Get It?
- Log in with your NetID to stream.queensu.ca. This will automatically create an account for you.
How Do I Discontinue It?
- You can delete the content of your library at any time. If you wish to transfer ownership of the content in your personal library to another Queen's faculty or staff member who meets eligibility requirements, please complete the online help form.
- When an account owner is no longer eligible for this service, the library will be removed from the streaming server and archived for a period of one year at which time the content will be deleted.
What if I Leave Queen's?
- Please see the Service Termination Dates page for details on when service will be discontinued following departure from Queen's.
System Requirements and Supported Content Types
- Many content types and OS/browser combinations are supported by the Queen's Streaming Service
- Request additional account storage by completing the online help form. In the help form Issue Title field, write "Streaming additional storage" + the NetID associated with the account that requires more storage.
- All content that has been on the server for at least 24 hours and the request to restore the content is made within 6 days of the content being deleted, can be restored. Please complete the Streaming File Recovery Request form you require a restore.
- The targeted availability of this service is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week (24x7).
- Users of the service should expect occasional but infrequent service interruptions or slowdowns, both planned and unplanned.
- Where it is necessary to schedule system maintenance that necessitates a service outage, ITS will do this outside of regular business hours whenever possible.
- Regular security patching will occur Friday mornings between 5 and 6 a.m. and may result in a brief service interruption. Please check the ITS Notification page for information about unplanned service outages.
- Standard hours of operation
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
- Backup, Recovery, Archiving and Retention
- Facilities Management Page
- Service Interruption and Restoration
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
- Intellectual Property - QUFA Collective Agreement, Article 16
- Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy
- Electronic Information Security Policy Framework
Help & Support
ITS can help with basic how-to support of the streaming service: