Solid Edge ST FAQs
ITServices has gathered a listing of frequently asked questions. If you have a question that is not found on the list, please fill out the Online Support Form or call us at 613 533 6666.
/ Collapse All
Q. How do I install Solid Edge ST? It's not listed in Ida's Task Manager.
You should have Ida installed on your computer. If you need to download Ida, visit the Ida website.
- Open Ida's Task Manager (right click the Ida i icon in the system tray and select Task Manager or click on the balloon that says Ida has recommendations for you if it appears)
- If you do not see Solid Edge ST (and possibly a patch) in the list, select Install.. from the Packages menu. Select Solid Edge ST (the base and the patch) from the list and click Add. Make sure Solid Edge ST is checked off in the Task Manager and click on the Submit button. Since Solid Edge ST is site licensed to Queen's users, you will need to enter your NetID and password. If Solid Edge does not appear in the list in the Ida Add Task (Install Package) window, then Solid Edge is not supported on your operating system.
- After Ida finishes the install it will recommend 2 tweaks - one to license the software (which you definitely want) and another that adds a template and makes some configuration changes for students in APSC 161 - if you aren't in the course you can skip that tweak. If you do not see the tweaks in the list, select Add.. from the Tweaks menu. Select the License and Configure tweaks from the list and click Add, then click on the Submit button.
Q. I'm trying to install Solid Edge and the download is taking forever and keeps crashing. What's wrong?
Are you trying to do this over wireless? Solid Edge is a really really big program and the install file is huge. You want to use a wired connection to download anything that big. There are wired connections in the library.
Q. Solid Edge ST doesn't work properly. What could be wrong?
Q. Ida installed Solid Edge ST but it says it isn't licensed. How do I get it licensed?
- Try the Ida tweak to license Solid Edge. Open the Task manager and select Add off the Tweaks menu. Check off License Solid Edge and click on Add and then Submit the task. OR
- Contact the ITServices Support Centre and they can send you the license file.
Q. Ida installed Solid Edge ST but says the install failed and it wants to reinstall it again and again. It looks like it completed the install, but if I try to run it, it says it isn't licensed. How do I get it to stop bugging me to reinstall and get it licensed?
We have seen this happen where the issue was that Ida was confusing Solid Edge ST with Solid Edge (Siemens used to call the program Solid Edge before this latest update). Ida runs the install for Solid Edge ST, but for some reason on some PCs it thinks that what it installed was Solid Edge, not Solid Edge ST. This bug should be fixed but if you see it there is a work around
- if installed, let Ida uninstall Solid Edge (right-click in the Application Manager and select uninstall
- Stop Ida - right-click the icon in the TaskBar and select Exit
- Start > Run > %appdata%/Ida/PnIdis
- Look for Solid Edge.idi and delete it
- restart Ida and get it to install Solid Edge ST
- Ida should complete the install
If Ida should happen to get confused again and suggest the reinstall, just unselect the uninstall and install recommendations and Submit them and Ida will offer to hide those recommendations.
Q. I am supposed to have a special template for my APSC 161 assignments. How do I get this?
Run the Configure Solid Edge for APSC161 Tweak. Open Ida's Task Manager, select Add off the Tweaks menu and check off the tweak and click Add and then Submit.
Q. I am getting "internal error 2738" when I run the Solid Edge install. How do I fix this?
Go to Start -> Accessories, right click on command prompt and click "run as administrator". Enter "cd C:\Windows\System32" (replace the directory to what is appropriate for your PC) and then enter "regsvr32 vbscript.dll". It should confirm that vbscript has been registered - try the install again.