Mac OS X 10.6 Wireless Configuration
Note: If you are having trouble configuring a wireless connection please drop by the Learning Commons Desk, located on the ground floor of Stauffer Library, for help.
What do I need To connect to QueensuSecure_WPA2?
To connect to the Queen's Secure Wireless Network - QueensuSecure_WPA2 you will need:
- An active Queen's NetID and password
- A wireless network card that supports secure wireless encryption using WPA2 (All Airport Extremes support WPA2)
- A location close to one of the Queen's access points
How do I know if my wireless card supports WPA2?
Note: These screen shots were created on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Other versions may be slightly different.
Check that you are running Mac OS X 10.6.x
- Click on Apple Icon in menu bar
About this Mac
- You will see the Version of Mac OS you are running. If version is Mac OS X 10.6 or later then it support WPA2.
Connecting to QueensuSecure_WPA2
- When reconnecting follow steps 1-3, and 7 (if password is not saved) of configure steps below.
Configure Your Wireless Connection
Before you configure your secure wireless connection will need to go to https://netid.queensu.caand log in using your NetID and password to check your status. This is a one time step only and must be completed by
All Students, Faculty and Staff.
- Click on the wireless icon located in the Menu bar
- The AirPort menu will open
Turn Airport On
The reselect to see list of items.
Note: If Airport (Wi-Fi) is already on skip to the next step.
- The Airport menu will be displayed.
- This step will only happen on new connection or when the certificate expires. The Authenticating to network "QueensuSecure_WPA2" screen will open.
If you do not see this skip to step 7.
- Click the
Show Certificate button
- The Authenticating to network "QueensuSecure_WPA2" screen will expand to show the certificate details
- Confirm the details by clicking on
Details to expand and check if subject name is Queen's and Entrust is the issuer of the certificate, as shown below.
- If it is select
Always trust "radius.its.queensu.ca"and
- Click on
- You will be prompted to save the certificate (it's saved in your keychain).
- Enter your local computer admin account and password to save settings, and
- Click the
Update Settings button
- The Airport Wi-Fi network "QueensuSecure_WPA2" requires WPA2 enterprise credentials screen will open
- Enter your
- Click the
- The first time you may get the following message, if not skip to step 8.
- You should be connected shortly. If you would like to check your status, from the Airport menu select Open Network preferences…
- From the Airport menu select
Open Network preferences…
- The Network preference show the status of your Wireless connection and has option to disconnect.
- The Network preferences screen will open
- If lock icon is locked click on it and enter admin password to unlock preferences.
- Click the Disconnect button
- You can now close the Network Preferences dialog.