Research Network Access (ORION)
The Ontario Research and Innovation Optical Network (ORION) is an ultra high-speed fibre optic network that connects Ontario's research and education institutions to one another, and to partners and colleagues throughout Canada and around the world.
- All members of the University may use the service. Internet use on the University campus will automatically use ORION when accessing a site at another organization connected to ORION or one of its partner networks.
- Specialized data network facilities, such as private multi-site virtual LANs and dedicated optical wavelength paths are also available to support research and education projects.
- There is no cost passed on for normal use.
- Specialized facilities are priced case by case.
Requirements & Availability:
Hardware required for this service:
- an ethernet interface (wired, wireless), OR
- an optical data interface
Software required for this service:
- TCP/IP protocol support, included in most operating systems
- software to support the specific use, e.g., web browser, file transfer program
- Contact Hugh Flemington, Coordinator Campus Networks, at 613-533-3365 for consultation on specialized data network facilities.
Help & Support