TSM for Mac: Setting Preferences
This tutorial is based on TSM version 5.5 for the Macintosh computer. Before a backup can occur you will need to:
Use these instructions to configuring your TSM Client Preferences for a scheduled backup.
- Start TSM
- From the Edit menu select
- The Preferences Editor screen will open. Click the General tab.
- Click the General tab.
- In the Node Name field enter your
TSM Node Name. This information will have been given to you by the ITServices TSM Administrator. Note: This may be the same as your NetID, but not necessarily.
- Log File Name is the location on your computer where the error logs are stored. If you have a problem with TSM, this error log could provide information. To view the log, use the Console application located in the Applications/Utilities folder on all Macintosh computers.
- Prune old entries will prevent your log file from growning unmanageable and consuming disk space. 14 days of old messages should be enough to troubleshoot problems.
- From the menu select Backup
- The Backup Preferences screen will open
- In the Domain for Backup area
check the box Back up all local file systems. This setting will exclude network drives, CDs, DVDs, memory sticks, etc.
- The Domain List shows the drives currently connected to your computer. The greyed out drives are your local drives and they should already be checked off for you.
- From the menu select Include-Exclude
- The Include-Exclude Preferences screen will open
- The Statement List shows an example of files that do not need to be backed up.
- From the menu select Scheduler
- The Scheduler Preferences screen will open
- The Schedule Log contains a history of events that occurred during the backup. For example, if you cancelled the backup, that will be recorded in the log file.
- The log also contains information about when the next backup is scheduled.
- the menu select Communication
- The Communication Preferences screen will open
- Confirm that the server address is ADSM.CCS.QUEENSU.CA - anything else will cause the backup to fail.
- From the menu select Authorization
- The Authorization Preferences screen will open
- If the radio button beside Password Prompt is selected, click the
Password Generateradio button
- The Authorization Preferences screen will change to the
- The Authorization Preferences screen will change to the Password Generate screen
- the recommended location for the password is /Library/Preferences/Tivoli Storage Manager
- Check the radio button beside
Save encryption key password locally
- Check the radio button to select the encryption type of
128 bit AES
- From the menu select Web Client
- The Web Client Preferences screen will open
- Under the Managed Services Options section
Uncheckthe box beside Web Client
Checkthe box beside Schedule
- In the Privileges section
Checkthe box to Revoke remote access privilege.
- To save all of these changes click the