TSM Setup for Mac OS X
TSM User's Guides are available at:
For information about hardware and software compatibility, see the detailed system requirements document at the following web pages:
Apple Macintosh client requirements http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21053584
The following information is required to configure TSM:
- NODENAME and password - this is assigned by TSM Administrator. Complete this form to set up your account. NOTE: One NodeID is needed for each Macintosh OS X computer. Backuping up multiple computer with one NodeID will cause issues.
- TSM Host: tsm-dupuis.ad.queensu.ca
- Exclude list for files not to backup. More about this later.
Install TSM on OS X 10.7.x, 10.8.x and 10.9.x
(for Any 64-bit Intel-based Macintosh use TSM Backup V126.96.36.199)
IBM Support statement for TSM
TSM Version 6.4 Client for Macintosh Installation instructions:
- Download the 188.8.131.52-TIV-TSMBAC-Mac.dmg file.
- Double-click on the 184.108.40.206-TIV-TSMBAC-Mac.dmg file. This will cause the disk image to mount. Depending on your security setting, you may need to Right click (control-Click) and select Open. Then select Open.
- Double-click the "Tivoli Storage Manager" installation package icon.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Details of Queen's setting can be found in the Setup Tutorial
First time setup:
- Go to the /Application/Tivoli Storage Manager folder and open:
TSM Tools for Administrators
- If this is a new install, and you have not have a configuration file in: /Library/Preferences/Tivoli Storage Manager/ you will be prompted to configure TSM.
Note: preference files are called: dsm.opt and dsm.sys. The dsm.sys contains the NODENAME, TCPSERVERADDRESS(tsm-dupuis.ad.queensu.ca) and exclude rules. You can use TSM GUI or Text Edit to review them and change them. Also in this folder is TSM.PWD which contains the saved password files for schedule backups (it's encrypted).
For Mac OS X 10.6.x use TSM Backup V6.3.0:
For Mac OS X 10.5.x use TSM Backup V220.127.116.11:
For all versions of TSM installer, it installs the main user's application at:
/Application/Tivoli Storage Manager/
and TSM command line tools (used by TSM Applications) are stored in: /usr/bin/ and linked to:
- /usr/bin/dsmagent -> /Library/Application Support/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmagent
- /usr/bin/dsmc -> /Library/Application Support/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc
- /usr/bin/dsmcad -> /Library/Application Support/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad
- /usr/bin/dsmtca -> /Library/Application Support/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmtca
- /usr/bin/dsmtrace -> /Library/Application Support/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmtrace
If you see them running in your process list, it's ok. If you get prompted to allow access for Firewall for one of the above items, this is okay too.
- Make a habit to backup files regularly using TSM and/or CD/DVD. See TSM schedule setup for automatic backups.
- Make a habit to backup after each major project (if you don't backup every day).
- iTunes Purchased Music, Pictures and Movies can be backed up to CD/DVD allowing for easy access and filling. These are contained inside the users directory: Users/[account]/, Music, Pictures an Movies.
- Mac OS X 10.5, you will see an added EXCLUDE.DIR "/Volumes/[backvolume]/Backups.backupdb/*" (notice the * ) where [backvolume] is the volume set in Time Machine Preferences, This command will prevent your Time Machine Backup being backed up to the TSM backup server.