Change the Owner of a Mailing List
Mailing lists are owned by the person who created them. Only the owner of the mailing list can add another person as an owner or transfer their mailing list to someone else. If the owner of the mailing list changes their email address it is the same as changing the owner of the mailing list.
For a List Owner to Change their email address is a 4 step process:
- Add the new email address as an owner for each list you own
- Register a Listserv password for your new email address.
Note: This password is only for your Listserv account; it is not your NetID/email password.
- Using your updated email address and password, log into Listserv.
- Delete your old email address from each mailing list(s)
Add A New Email Address As An Owner
- Open your browser and go to:
- The Login Required screen will open.
Note: if you did not log out of Listserv the last time you used it you will still be logged in. Go to Step 3.
- In the Email Address: field enter your email address.
Note: this must be the email address that you used to create the list. If you have changed your email address then you must use your original address. For example, if you created the mailing list using your NetID email address (
email@example.com ) and you have choosen to use the
firstname.lastname@example.org email alias you will need to use your original NetID email address.
- Enter your password:
Note: this is not the password that is associated with yor NetID. This password is a generic password that you created.
If you cannot remember what it is, go to the Register a Listserv Password section below to get a new LISTSERV password
- Click the Log In button
- The List Management Dashboard screen will open
- If you manage several mailing lists the Select List drop down menu will display every mailing list that you are an owner for with the email address you logged in with.
- Select the list you want to change the owner for
- If you manage a single mailing list, List Management Dashboard (list name) will be displayed at the upper left corner indicating that your mailing list has already been selected.
- From the List Management drop down menu
- Select List Configuration
- Select Manual List Configuration
- The List Configuration (yourlist-l) screen will open
- Scroll down the screen until you see the Owner=YourEmailAddress
- Position the cursor at the end of the line and press enter to add a blank line. If a blank line already exists, use it.
- On the blank line enter Owner=NewEmailAddress (where NewEmailAddress is the email address for the new owner)
- Click the Save button
- The message The header of the yourlist-l list has been successfully replaced will be displayed under the list name
Note: repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for each mailing list you are changing the owner for
- Click the log Out button once all your lists have been changed.
The Owner of the new email address needs to Register a password for that email address to be used when managing mailing lists.
Finally, after verifying that the new email address can be used to log into Listserv and manage your list, delete the old email address (owner) for each mailing list by repeating steps 3 and 4 above as necessary.
Register a Listserv password for your new email address
- Go to https://lists.queensu.ca/cgi-bin/listserv/wa?LMGT1
- Click the get a new LISTSERV password link
- The Register LISTSERV Password screen will open
- In the Email Address: field enter the new list owner's email address
- In thePassword: field enter the password to use with LISTSERV. Note: this is NOT the NetID password
- In the Password (Again): field re-enter the password. Do not copy and paste the password. If you made a typo, it would be copied
- Click the Register Password button
- The Confirmation Sent screen will open
- Your password needs to be activated before it can be used.
- LISTSERV will send an email to your email address. It will only take a couple of minutes.
- Open the email from Queen's University LISTSERV Server (16.0)
- to activate your password click the link provided
- The new owner of the mailing list can now log in.
- Now you should be able to manage the mailing list with your updated email address, or the new list owner should be able to log in and manage the list.