Contact Groups in Office 2013
At Queen's there are several options available for mailing lists.
Contact groups allows the user to schedule meetings with or send an email to multiple people using one email address. They can be created by any individual at Queen's. They can be populated with entries from the Global Address List (GAL) - including distribution groups - as well as email addresses from outside Queen's. Contact groups are owned by the person who creates them and are not published in the GAL. They can, however, be shared with other Queen's people who are on the same email service (Exchange or Office 365).
When you send email to a Contact Group, the To: field on received messages shows the individual email addresses of all members of the list. If you want to hide the membership of the list, use the BCC: field instead of the TO: field when sending email to the group. If BCC is not currently visible when you are sending email, click View and select Bcc.
Creating a Contact Group
- From the Navigation pane select People
- Click the New Contact Group button
- The Contact Group screen will open
- In the Name field enter a name for the group
- To add members from the Global Address Book (GAL) click the Add Members... button
- From the drop down menu select From Address Book
- Note: you can also add members who are currently in your Outlook Contacts or for whom you have an email address. These do not need to be Queen's email addresses.
- The Select Members: Global Address List screen will open
- Enter the NetID of the person you are looking for and click the Go button
- The listing will update to show all persons who meet your search criteria
- Double click the person you are looking for. Their contact information will be add to the Members -> field at the bottom of the screen
- Repeat this process to add other members who are in the GAL
- Click the OK button
- The Contact Group screen will re-open
- The people you added are listed in the dialogue box
- Click the Save & Close button
- Your Contact Group will now be listed in your People listing and is ready to use.
Send a Contact Group to Another Person
You can share a contact group with someone else by forwarding the group to them. Their copy of the group and your copy of the group are not linked. If you make changes to your copy of the group, these changes will not automatically be transferred to the other copy of the group.
- Open the People menu.
- Select the Contact Group (or contact) you want to share
- Right mouse click to open the drop down menu
- Select Forward Contact
- Select As an Outlook Contact
- An email message will open
- The contact group you selected is displayed in the Attached: field
- Enter the email address of the person you want to share your contact group with
- Enter a Subject
- Enter a message if you like
- Click the Send button
Receive a Personal Contact Group From Another Person
If another person shares a personal contact group with you it will arrive by email.
- Open the email with the attached personal contact group
- Drag and drop the attachment from the email to the People menu on the navigation pane
- Note: The People menu is part of the Navigation menu and can be located in the left of the screen or the bottom of the screen. Click the ... and select Navigation Options to change the location.
- The Contact Group is now available to use.