Forwarding Emails to Another Account Using OWA
This tutorial teaches you how to forward all your emails to an external address such as Hotmail or Gmail.
What is Mail Forwarding?
Some people have one email address that they prefer over their others. Mail forwarding allows your mail to be delivered to a mailbox that is external to your Queen's Exchange account. Mail forwarding can also be used to deliver emails to another person entirely.
If you are considering forwarding your email to another email account, please consider:
- The Exchange Calendar depends on email to create, accept, and decline meetings.
- There is a 5GB quota on your Exchange email account. If you leave copies of your email on the server, you could exceed your quota. If this happens, your Queen's email account will stop accepting new mail.
In the Outlook Web App (OWA), mail forwarding can be achieved through setting an Inbox rule. To log in to OWA, go to http://qwa.queensu.ca.
Creating a Forwarding Rule
- On the right top corner of OWA, click on the Options drop down menu
- Select See all options…
- Select Organize E-mail on the Navigation Pane on the left
- Your Inbox Rules will now be displayed
- Click New... under Inbox Rules
- Under When the message, and: select [Apply to All Messages]
- Under Do the following: select Select Redirect the message to...
- The Address book will pop up
- If you want to forward your messages to someone else who is in the GAL, search for their name here
- If you want to forward your message to an external account (e.g. Gmail), enter the entire email address in the Tofield
- Click OK
- Click More Options...
- Uncheck the box Stop processing more rules
- Name the rule something that you'll recognize (e.g. Forward all to Gmail)
- Click Save
- Back in the main Inbox Rules window, make sure you check the box next to the rule to turn it on
Creating a Rule that Also Removes Email from the Server
With the new Exchange server, everyone is given a quota of 5GB. Because of this, you may not need to delete emails often, if at all. However, for high frequency users who only use Exchange for email, you may want to forward all emails and remove them from the server to avoid filling up your Inbox. This involves adding one simple action to the rule.
- After clicking More Options (Step 4), click the Add Action button under the Do the following: drop down list
- A new drop down list will appear in the Do the following: section.
- From the new drop down list select Move, copy, or delete and then select Delete the message
- Click the Save button.
Your emails will now be deleted from your Exchange account after being forwarded to your alternate email address.