Microsoft Office 365 Email and Calendar Service
Microsoft Office 365
is a web-based suite of services from Microsoft. The email and calendar service, Exchange Online, offers secure, anytime, anywhere access and includes the following:
- Email — 50 GB of storage space
- Calendar — manage your schedule, book meetings, share your calendar with others
- Tasks — create daily to-do lists and set reminders
- Contacts — store your contacts and then access them from any computer or mobile device
- Fully integrated email, calendar, tasks and contacts
- Feature-rich web interface (Outlook Web App)
- Seamless mobile integration
- Integration with other Office applications and collaboration tools like Microsoft Lync
- 99.9% service uptime, plus enhanced malware and spam protection from Microsoft
Who Can Have It?
- All students currently attending Queen's University. Your Office 365 email account is your official Queen's email account. All university email correspondences will be sent to this account. If you do not use this account, or if you forward it to another account, you could miss important information.
Are There Any Costs?
- This service is provided at no cost to eligible users.
How Do I Get It?
- All students have access to the Office 365 Email and Calendar service using an active Queen’s NetID account.
- If you have not already activated your NetID, you will need to do so before you can access this service. For more information on how to activate your NetID, please read this tutorial.
- Once your NetID is activated, you can access the service using Microsoft's Outlook client (free for students, staff and faculty), or by logging into Office 365 at https://outlook.com/queensu.ca.
- If you need help configuring your account or email client, see the Office 365 Tutorials.
How Do I Discontinue It?
- Your Office 365 account will remain active until you leave Queen's.
- If you do not wish to use Office 365 for your Queen's email and calendar service, you can choose to "opt out" and instead use the "on-premise" Microsoft Exchange service currently being used by Queen's faculty and staff. Please see the section "Service Opt-Out" for more information.
What if I Leave Queen's?
- Please see the Service Termination Dates page for details on when service will be discontinued following departure from Queen's.
- If you are a student who is graduating from Queen's, your account will automatically transition to the Email for Alumni Service one year after graduation – unless you return to Queen's within that year. To keep your email service active, you must log into your account at least once per year. If you are only using your Queen's email account to forward mail to another address, then you will still need to log in to avoid loss of service.
- For information on which browsers, Office clients, and apps are supported for Office 365, please visit the Office 365 System Requirements page on the Microsoft website.
- If you are switching to the Office 365 service from the on-premise service, it may be necessary to make configuration changes to your email client, such as Microsoft Outlook, or any devices, such as your smartphone. For help, please refer to the tutorials for tablets and handheld devices.
Publishing Option Settings:
- The Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 email services include a built-in directory of Queen's email addresses known as the Global Address List (GAL). You can adjust your publishing option settings (whether you wish to be visible in this directory) by following the Publishing Options Settings tutorial.
Message size limit
||The maximum total size of an email message. The total size includes the message header, the message body, and any file attachments.
Note: An email client may limit the size of an individual file attachment to a value much less than the message size limit. For example, in Outlook Web App, the maximum individual file attachment size is 10 MB.
Retention period for deleted items
||The maximum number of days that items (emails, tasks, etc.) can remain in the Deleted Items folder before they are automatically removed.
Recovery period before permanent deletion
||The maximum number of days an item is kept, after it is removed from the Deleted Items folder (see above), before being deleted permanently.
Junk E-mail folder retention
||The maximum number of days that items can remain in the Junk E-mail folder before they are automatically removed.
||The maximum number of message recipients allowed in the To:, Cc:, and Bcc: fields.
||The maximum number of email messages that can be sent from a single email client per minute. The client is identified by the user account.
||30 messages per minute
Recipient rate limit
||The maximum number of recipients that a user can send to in a 24-hour period. After the limit has been reached, messages cannot be sent until the number of recipients who were sent messages in the past 24 hours drops below the limit. These limits apply to all outbound and internal messages. For more information, see Bulk E-Mail and Daily Recipient Rate Limits.
||10,000 recipients per day
- The targeted availability of this service is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week (24x7).
- Users of the service should expect occasional but infrequent service interruptions or slowdowns, both planned and unplanned.
- Where it is necessary to schedule system maintenance that necessitates a service outage, ITServices will do this outside of regular business hours whenever possible.
- Regular security patching will occur ... Please check the ITServices Notification page for information about unplanned service outages.
Standard Hours of Operation
Service Level Objective
Please see the links below for Service Level Objectives:
Governing IT Policies
Users of this service are governed by the following policies, failure to comply may result, at a minimum, with suspension of service:
Help & Support
ITServices can help with ...
Or, contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613-533-6666 during regular business hours, or by filling out the online help form.
Alumni can get support for email services through Alumni Relations by emailing
, or by calling the Contact Centre at 1-800-267-7837 (Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm).