Queen's Email for Graduate Students
As of Spring 2012, graduate students are entitled to the same fully integrated email, calendar, tasks and contacts service being provided to Queen's staff and faculty using Microsoft Exchange Server.
- New students to Queen's who enter into a graduate program will receive an account using the Microsoft Exchange email and calendar service for staff, faculty and graduate students.
- Undergraduate students at Queen's who become graduate students will continue to receive the Office 365 email and calendar service for undergraduate students (unless they choose to opt out - see below).
What email service am I on?
- Navigate to https://webapp.queensu.ca/its/apps/services/mymail/ and log in with your NetID and password. This application will let you know which email service you are receiving, the URL for the web interface for that service, and where to find help and support.
Publishing Option Settings:
- The Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 email services include a built-in directory of Queen's email addresses known as the Global Address List (GAL). You can adjust your publishing option settings (whether you wish to be visible in this directory) by following the Publishing Options Settings tutorial.
Microsoft Licensing Agreement:
- Graduate students are entitled to a copy of the current version of the Microsoft Office Suite as per the licensing agreement that also covers faculty and staff.
- Graduate students who do not wish to use the Microsoft Exchange "on premise" solution for their Queen's email and calendar service can choose to "opt out". In this case, they will still receive a Queen's email address and an account using the Office 365 "cloud" email and calendar service for undergraduate students.
- Students will be allowed to switch email service one time per year.
- To opt out of Microsoft Exchange email and calendar service, fill out the Office 365 Opt-In/Opt-Out Request Form.
- Requests to opt out will be processed once per week (on Wednesdays) and may take up to one additional day to take effect.
- Email clients (e.g. Office 2010) and/or devices (e.g. smart phones) will have to be reconfigured to reflect the change in service.
- Users who opt out of the service being used by their peers should be aware that they will lose some features and integration functions as identified in this table:
Office 365 "Cloud" Service (O365)
Exchange "On Premise" Service (OnPrem)
|25GB of storage
||5GB of storage
|Cannot add/accept/cancel meetings with OnPrem calendar users (write permissions)
||Cannot add/accept/cancel meetings with O365 calendar users (write permissions)
|Cannot share mailboxes or mail folders with OnPrem users
||Cannot share mailboxes or mail folders with O365 users
|Cannot share contacts or tasks with OnPrem users
||Cannot share contacts or tasks with O365 users
Help & Support
- Graduate students who have a Microsoft Exchange email account should refer to the Staff and Faculty email section for information about the service and support documentation.
- Graduate students who have an Office 365 email account should refer to the Student (Undergraduate) email section for information about the service and support documentation.
- For additional assistance, please contact the IT Support Centre by calling 613.533.6666 during regular business hours or by filling out the online help form.