ITServices has gathered a listing of frequently asked questions. If you have a question that is not found on the list, please fill out the Online Support Form or call us at 613 533 6666. Expand All
/ Collapse All
Q. Can I change my your.name alias?
No. At this time only your legal name, as it appears in the Registrar's database can be assigned as your.name email alias.
Q. How will the your.name email alias effect my NetID?
It doesn't. You will still need to use your NetID to authenticate when you log into your email, or any of the other Queen's services that require your NetID to authenticate.
Q. What happens if I "deactivate" my your.name email alias?
If you deactivate your.name email alias you will no longer be able to use it in the from: field of your outgoing email. This will happen automatically in Queen's Webmail but if you are using a client such as Outlook you will need to make this change manually. If you don't, when you go to send email you will receive an error message. If someone send email to you, using your.name email alias it will appear in your inbox.
Q. If I re-activate my your.name email alias will I get the same your.name email alias?
Yes. Once you activate your your.name email alias it will remain yours until your NetID is removed from the system. If you deactivate it, it will be reserved for you.
Q. I have changed my legal name. How do I change my your.name email alias?
Answer: To change the your.name alias that has been assigned to you you need to do the following:
- Go to the Registrar's Office and officially change your name. It could take several days for this change to take effect.
- Return to the NetID Account Administration page and select your.name email alias option
- You will be shown your current your.name email alias.
- Click the Request button. Complete the form including the information that you have legally changed your name and submit the request. A new your.name will be manually assigned based on your new name.
Q. I activated my your.name email alias and can no longer login to my mailing lists to read archives.
You need to set a password for your new your.name email alias.
- Go to the Mailing List Services home page at: http://lists.queensu.ca/listserv/
- Click on the link titled: Set/Register Your Listserv Password
- Complete the web form. You will be sent an email confirmation request. Follow the instructions for confirming your password.
Note: For Graduate Students who may manage your mailing lists as instructor or as TA, they can still Login using their List Owner e-mail address and password previously set.
Please feel free to contact the IT Support Centre at 533-6666 if you have any questions about this new service for your Graduate students.
Q. I'm a Grad Student. I manage a mailing list as an instructor/TA. Should I use my firstname.lastname@example.org email address or my email@example.com email address to manage the list?
You can still login using the email address and password that you registed as a list owner.
If you would like to use your your.name email address you can add it as a list owner and create a password for it.
ITServices recommends adding the new email alias rather than changing the current addess to the new one. You can keep the passwords the same too.
Q. I am the Owner of a mailing list. Is there anything I should do?
Yes, there are several things ITServices recommends you do:
- Add your new e-mail address as a List Owner, set a Listserv personal password for it, and then test your ability to Login using your new e-mail address. Do NOT delete your current NetID/List Owner e-mail address; if you make a typo adding your new e-mail address, you will not be able to Login to your mailing list & you will have lost all access to your mailing list.
- Keeping your NetID as a Quiet List Owner on all University business-related mailing lists (See FAQ X:URL for how to do this). If there are problems with your mailing list, ITServices will contact the NetID. If there is no NetID, the list will be suspended and a note sent to any generic, e-mail alias, or non-Queen's List Owner e-mail address.
- For your convenience, you can make the Listserv password for your new email alias the same as the Listserv password for your current List Owner email address. When setting your password, please ensure that it is sufficiently secure. If you forget your Listserv password, you can always set a new one (See above)
- Your personal Listserv password is not your NetID (email) password and should never be set the same as your NetID (email) password!