Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Where to Start

Step 1. Decide where and when you would like to study.  Search the website of the university you wish to attend and gather specific information about the availability of suitable courses and programs offered. 

Step 2. Once you have found a university of interest, determine the application deadlines and procedures for applying as a visiting student and whether an International Letter of Permission (ILOP) is required. For example, The Canadian Field Studies in Africa program run out of McGill University requires the ILOP along with your application to their study abroad program.

Step 3. Apply for an International Letter of Permission (ILOP)

  • The ILOP serves as a guarantee that you will receive transfer credit for the work completed abroad, provided a final grade equivalent to at least "C" at Queen's is obtained in each course (unless otherwise stated on your ILOP). 
  • ILOP application forms can be obtained from the International Programs Office (IPO) or downloaded (PDF, 503KB) and submitted to the International Programs Office
  • Applications must include detailed course descriptions for the courses you are planning on taking abroad
  • There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $60 for each ILOP requested.
  • If you wish to take your 3rd or 4th year of an Honours program away on an ILOP, you must obtain written permission from your department(s) of concentration and the Associate Dean (Studies). You will need to provide a statement, outlining the reasons why you wish to study abroad for your 3rd or 4th year. 

Step 4. Apply to the University. 

  • It is the student's responsibility to apply to the host university for admission
  • When applying, students who obtain an ILOP should apply as a special or visiting student NOT in a degree program  
  • Application to the host university MAY in some cases come before applying for an ILOP. As stated in Step 2 - students must determine application deadlines and requirements prior to applying. It is not the responsibility of the International Programs Office to determine this. 
  • Tuition is paid to the host university

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000