Want to leave a hate group?
If you want to leave a hate group.
If you've been in a hate group for some time, you know that the choice to leave is not an easy one. But don't get discouraged! Others have done it and you can do it too.
- Establish support.
- Turn to someone neutral like a counsellor and, if necessary, get a lawyer. Contact an established anti-hate organization familiar with your group to get some informed advice. If your safety is at risk, contact the police immediately.
- Cut ties.
- Refuse to participate in further hateful activities and end contact with members of the hate group network. It is advisable to get an unlisted phone number, and new email/snail mail addresses.
- Educate yourself.
- Get people to recommend books and videos that will help you answer your questions.
- Discover yourself.
- You probably don't know a lot about yourself independent of your hate group. Take time to rediscover your interests and friendships.
- If you're feeling unsafe or confused,there are many Queen's and Kingston organizations that can provide you with resources and support