Queen's University

Frequently Asked Questions

[Image: students in class asking questions]

1. Why must I register with Disability Services every year?

Regular feedback allows students and staff to know what's working, and what needs to be changed or modified. By renewing your accommodations annually, they reflect your current accommodation needs as your move through your program of study.

2. Do I have to disclose my disability to my instructors?

The choice to disclose is entirely yours. Your instructor will need to know if you require accommodations, but you don't have to disclose any information about your disability. Keep in mind, however, that the more your instructors understand about your abilities, the more effectively they can adapt their teaching methods to suit your needs.

3. What should I do if an instructor refuses to accommodate?

There are a couple of things that you can do:

  1. provide the instructor with your "Recommendation for Accommodation" form - this legally entitles you to the accommodations recommended;
  2. refer the instructor to your DSO Advisor; and
  3. speak to your DSO Advisor as they will assist you on a case-by-case basis.

4. Should I disclose my disability to my peers?

Again, this is entirely your choice, depending on your comfort level and your disability. However, as in life, you may be asked about your disability directly, and you may want to consider how you might respond, or think of ways of framing the discussion to focus on your abilities. The ultimate goal of self-advocacy is to foster situations where you are comfortable discussing your disability, or gracefully redirecting the conversation.

5. When will I get notified of my exam arrangements?

You will receive an email from the Exams Office a few weeks before the exam period. If you have not received your notice please call the Exams Office. 613-533-2101.

6. What happens if I get sick and can't write my final exam?

You need to contact the Exams Office immediately to cancel your exam arrangements, then contact your Instructor to make alternate arrangements or defer the exam. Your instructor, or the department, is responsible for arranging the necessary accommodations for all deferred exams. You may need to see your physician to verify your condition on the day of the exam.

7. Sometimes I need help getting around campus, where can I get help?

Contact your DS Advisor who will discuss solutions with you.

8. How can I get a disability parking pass?

If you have a 'blue' Ontario disability parking pass, the Parking Office can issue you a Queen's pass for any of the accessible parking on campus. If you require a designated reserved parking space, you will need to discuss this with your DS Advisor. In any case, there is a fee for parking.

9. I want to drop a course but missed the drop date, what do I do?

If your reason for dropping the course is disability related, then talk to your DS Advisor. It may be possible to appeal to back-date the drop.

10. Will taking a reduced course load affect my eligibility for scholarships or OSAP?

Most scholarships require confirmation that you are registered in a full time program at college or university. If you are taking a reduced course load as an accommodation of your disability, it can be considered the equivalent of a full course load carried by a non-disabled student. OSAP requires a minimum course load of 40%, or at least 2 full credits per semester to remain eligible.

11. I was told that I have to appeal. How do I do that?

Every faculty has an appeal package that tells you what you need to do and the documentation needed to launch an appeal. Discuss your situation with your DS advisor who can offer guidance and support through the appeal process.

12. I want to make a complaint, what do I do?

It depends on the complaint. The first place to inquire is with your DS Advisor. If you are not comfortable doing that, or the complaint involves the Advisor or the office staff, contact the Director of Health, Counselling and Disability Services. For complaints about your accommodations, contact your advisor, or the Queen's Human Rights Office (613-533-6886), which deals with all complaints involving the university's failure to accommodate. Complaints dealing with discrimination, physical or verbal abuse, or other human right issues should also be directed to the Human Rights Office.

13. I not very good at organizing my time and studying. Where can I get help?

Learning Strategies Development Program (one on one, drop-ins, workshops), or the Peer Mentor Program.

14. I am having difficulty writing essays. Where can I get help?

Learning Strategies Development Program; Writing Centre; Peer Mentor Program.

15. Where can I get a tutor?

Mind Find; Tutor Inc (Faculty of Education); Individual faculties and departments often have their own lists of tutors.

16. How do I address my accessibility concerns?

Contact the Disability Service at (613) 533-6467 with any issues or questions.

17. What do I do if I am harassed or feel in danger?

If you have safety concerns contact Residence Life, Campus Security, your instructors, the Human Rights Office, or your DS advisor.

18. What do I do if I have a complaint regarding a DSO staff member?

Contact the Director, Dr. Michael Condra (ext.74932) or condram@queensu.ca.

19. What do I do if I have a complaint regarding a faculty member?

Contact the appropriate Department Head, or Undergraduate Chair, or speak with your DS advisor

Back to top