Undergraduate Grades

Grades and Grade Points
Letter Grade Grade PointsNumerical Equivalent

Academic Regulation 10 explains the system of letter grades used in the Faculty of Arts and Science, as well as the grades given in special cases where work cannot be completed by the end of a course. Much of this information can also be found on the Faculty of Arts and Science web site.

In 2011, Queen's University switched from a system of number grades to letter grades: as of the summer term 2011, final grades for all undergraduate courses are recorded on your transcript as letter grades only. Any grades you received in prior terms will continue to appear as numbers out of 100; a legend on the transcript shows how the two sets of grades relate to one another. In addition to letter grades, your transcript will show a cumulative grade point average (GPA), calculated according to the table “Grades and Grade Points.”

You can calculate your GPA with the GPA Calculator on the Faculty of Arts and Science web site. A Grade Calculator on this site allows you to calculate your final grade in a single course based any combination of assignments graded with numbers or letters.

Important Thresholds

Dean’s Honour List (Academic Regulation 12)

Achieving a GPA of 3.5 on all courses taken during an academic year (from 1 Sept to 31 Aug) will place a student on the Dean’s Honour List.

To be placed on the Dean’s Honour List with Distinction, a student must have achieved an academic year GPA in the top 3% of all students within Arts (BA, BAH, BFA, BFAH, BMus, BPHE, BPHEH) or Science (BSc, BScH, BCMP, BCMPH). Based on previous performance levels, a minimum academic year GPA of approximately 3.9 in Arts and 4.1 in Science will be required. These values may vary from year to year. In addition, there may be no Incomplete (IN), Deferred (GD), Failure (F) grades, or repeated courses during the year in question.

Requirements to Graduate (Academic Regulation 16)

To graduate, students must have the following minimum cumulative GPA on all courses taken at Queen's: 1.6 or above for a 3-year General BA, and 1.9 or above for a 4-year Honours BA.

Important Note: While any grade above F is sufficient to pass a course, a cumulative GPA between 0.1 and 1.59 (i.e., corresponding to the range of grades from D- to D+) is not sufficient to graduate. It is therefore technically possible to pass all your courses but still not be eligible to graduate.

Academic Standing (Academic Regulation 13)

To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 1.6 or above. Students who fail to achieve the following cumulative GPA standards when they are evaluated in May of each year may receive an academic sanction:

Cumulative GPA Sanction
Below 1.6 Placed on Academic Probation if you are a new student or are currently in good academic standing. Required to Withdraw if you are currently on Academic Probation.
Below 0.7 Required to Withdraw

The first time a student is required to withdraw, it will be for a period of one year; the student may then return to Arts and Science on academic probation. If he or she is required to withdraw a second time, it will be for a period of three years.

Thresholds Specific to the English Department

Grade or GPAWhat it Lets You Do
C in ENGL 100/6.0Minimum prerequisite for taking 200-level English courses
2.4 cumulative GPA in all ENGL unitsMinimum prerequisite for taking 300- and 400-level ENGL courses. Note that this does not include English Substitutions (e.g., CWRI courses), even though these courses may count toward your English Plan.
B+ in at least 18.0 ENGL unitsEnables Minors to take 6.0 ENGL units at the 300-level or above, if space permits.
3.5 in 24.0 ENGL unitsMinimum prerequisite to enrol in ENGL 590/3.0 Honours Essay (this requirement may be waived in exceptional cases by request of the essay’s faculty supervisor).

What if one cannot finish course-work by the end of a course?

In special cases where illness or emergency prevents students from completing a course on schedule, they may apply to the instructor or the Associate Dean (Studies) for special arrangements as follows. Note especially that arrangements for IN grades must be made with your instructors in advance of the relevant completion dates.

IN (incomplete): Students may request a grade of IN from the instructor if they cannot complete course work. This includes requests for a deferred exam. Requests for grades of IN should be made before the end of the course (i.e., by the last class meeting) and should ordinarily include documentation of the special circumstance that necessitates delayed completion (e.g., a medical note). The student and instructor should agree beforehand on the due date(s) for all outstanding work and should both sign a Permission for an Incomplete Mark Form (PDF). The revised due date(s) should ordinarily be set for the near future, and if possible they should fall before the beginning of the next term in order to avoid interference with subsequent courses. The instructor submits the final grade as it would be if no further work were submitted; if this grade is F, the instructor submits IN instead. When the missing work is submitted, the instructor revises the grade; if the work is not submitted, the incomplete grade stands. According to Academic Regulation 10.2.4, outstanding work must by submitted by the end of the subsequent term (e.g., the end of the summer term for incomplete work from Fall-Winter courses). Any INs will automatically be converted to Fs after this date. Deferral of missing work past the one-term deadline is possible only by appeal to the Associate Dean (Studies).

AG (aegrotat): Aegrotat grades are granted only in the most extraordinary circumstances. As Regulation 10 explains, “Aegrotat estimated standing in a course is reserved for situations in which a student, who has completed and passed at least 60 per cent of the work for a course, but because of illness or other extenuating circumstances beyond his or her control, is unable to complete all the work of the course (see Academic Regulation 6). Aegrotat grades will be included in the student’s grade point average and can be used as credit earned towards a degree program.” AG grades can only be awarded by appeal to the Associate Dean (Studies); instructors may support students’ appeals, but may not on their own award AG grades.

CR (credit standing) in a course “is reserved for situations in which a student, who has completed and passed all of the work of the course, including the final examination, but because of illness or other extenuating circumstances beyond his or her control, earned a substantially lower grade than might have been expected, normally a grade of C or lower (see Academic Regulation 6). A course with credit standing will not be included in the student’s grade point average but can be used as credit earned towards a degree program. For the purposes of determining prerequisite requirements, a CR grade shall be considered equivalent to a C- ….” CR standing can only be awarded by appeal to the Associate Dean (Studies).