Choosing a Plan
Steps in choosing your plan
If you have completed your first year, you must select an Academic Plan; if you are not registered in a Plan, you will not be able to enrol in any courses for the following year. Plan selection is done on SOLUS is mid- to late March; for more information consult the Faculty of Arts and Science web site.
- Check Plan Prerequisites: For automatic acceptance into an English Plan, you will need to have completed a ENGL 100 with a final mark of B-. If your final grade in ENGL 100 is C+, you will be placed on a pending list, and may still be accepted into the Plan if there is space.
- Select Your Plan: Access SOLUS in mid- to late May to enter Plan requests.
- “Pending” students check for Approval of Plan Requests: This information will be available on SOLUS in early June.
- Access SOLUS to Obtain Your Preregistration Appointment Time: Your Appointment Time indicates your start time for selecting Fall-Winter courses. Some courses fill quickly! We advise that you access SOLUS as close to your start time as possible; however, you may access SOLUS to select/change your courses at any point between your start time and the end of course selection.
Changing to an ENGLISH Plan
Have you changed to an ENGL Plan after 1 May 2011?
Have you taken ENGL 110, 112, or 160?
If you have taken ENGL 110, you will follow the new curriculum, with the following exemptions:
- Majors and Medials are exempt from ENGL 200 and ENGL 290, and will substitute an additional 9.0 units of Option courses from ENGL at the 200 level or above.
- Minors are exempt from ENGL 200, and will substitute an additional 6.0 units of Option courses from ENGL at the 200 level or above.
If you have taken ENGL 112 or ENGL 160, you will follow the new curriculum, with the following exemptions:
- Majors and Medials are exempt from ENGL 290, and will substitute an additional 3.0 units of Option courses from ENGL at the 200 level or above.
- NB: All students who took ENGL 112 or 160 are required to take ENGL 200.
OLD CURRICULUM SUBSTITUTIONS FOR NEW CURRICULUM COURSES
Students who changed to ENGL plans after 1 May 2011 will follow the NEW curriculum with the above substitutions, AND the following “upgrades”:
OLD 200-level survey courses that now count as 300-level courses:
|Old course number||New 300-level equivalent|
Old 300-level courses can count as 400 level as required.