Applying for Graduate Study

Applying to Queen’s

Getting Information

This web site aims to provide answers to many questions that prospective applicants may have. Additional information is provided in the Graduate Handbook (PDF). The Graduate Assistant and Graduate Co-ordinator are happy to answer applicants’ questions, as are members of the graduate faculty. It is recommended that students considering applying to Queen's contact faculty members under the following circumstances:

  1. Students wish to pursue Pattern 2 in the MA program, in which case the prior agreement of a faculty member to supervise a thesis, as well as the approval of the Graduate Coordinator in English, are required.
  2. Students wish to ascertain when faculty members of particular value to their future studies will be in residence during the period of their MA or PhD degree, or to consult with such faculty about students’ research interests generally. Please note that it is not possible for faculty members to agree to supervise PhD theses prior to a student’s entry into the program.

International Applicants: Please review carefully the important information about financial costs and professional English language requirements. Also read the academic requirements for MA admission and PhD admission.

How to Apply

Queen's University uses an online application form. To apply, you must create an account using a working e-mail address. Once your account has been activated, you can complete the application.

Application Fee: Note that before you can submit your application, you must pay the non-refundable $105 (Canadian dollars) application fee, which is payable by Visa or Mastercard only via the School of Graduate Studies.

Supporting Materials:

  • Transcripts: Two official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended.
  • Two letters of recommendation: After you complete and submit your application, recommendation forms will automatically be e-mailed to your referees. They may submit them electronically or by regular mail.
  • Statement of intent: Outline of your research interests and goals with respect to the degree you are pursuing. If you require more space than the online questionnaire affords, feel free to print it on a separate sheet and mail it to the English Department. The statement should be no longer than one single-spaced page.
  • Writing Sample (PhD applicants only): Applicants to the PhD program must include a writing sample (15 pp. maximum), preferably from their chosen research area.

Supporting materials should be mailed to the following address:

Lovorka Fabek-Fischer, Graduate Assistant
Department of English
Queen's University
Kingston, ON K7L 3N6
Phone: 613-533-6000, ext. 74447
Fax: 613-533-6872

Please send mail by Purolator, FedEx, regular mail or Xpresspost (if not requiring signature). Registered mail will not be accepted.

Pre-application Information for International Students

If English is not your native language, you will need a total TOEFL score of at least 627 (paper-based), 263 (computer-based), or 109 (Internet-based) as well as a TOEFL Test of Written English section score of 6.0 (paper or computer-based) or 30 (Internet-based) to be permitted to apply to our graduate program. Note that in the event permission is granted on the basis of total scores, the pre-application or application may still be rejected due to an inadequate score in one of the TOEFL sections. These tests must have been taken within a year up to the date of pre-application. If you meet these requirements, please send all of your official transcripts and the official results of your TOEFL. Once they have been received we will contact you.


The School of Graduate Studies provides links to up-to-date information about tuition fees, as well as estimated living expenses, for both domestic and international students.

Living Expenses: The cost of living in Kingston depends on the type of accommodation you choose. Our accommodation page provides links to some resources that can help you start looking for a place to live; you may also wish to consult the School of Graduate Studies’s housing page. The English Department’s Graduate Co-ordinator can also put you in contact with current students for peer advice on housing.

International Students: Financial resources offered by the program will only support a portion of the considerable tuition, professional expenses and cost of living in Canada for foreign students. Foreign students should expect to require extensive additional financial resources, bearing in mind that tuition for international students is costly, that student visas restrict employment off campus, and that additional employment on or off campus normally lengthens the time required to complete the degree. A minimum of an additional $9 000 per year of one’s own resources is advised for the first four years; at least $20 000 in fifth year, and over $30 000 in any subsequent years. International students do not normally receive Canadian bank loans or Canadian government awards. Typical degree completion time is five years, and six years is not uncommon.

Applying Elsewhere

This section contains links that may be of use to our undergraduate and MA students who are considering graduate study in Canada, the USA, or Britain. This list is not exhaustive; it merely suggests starting points for your research.


Funding: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)

United States

Graduate Record Examinations (GRE): The GRE must be written by all applicants to American graduate programs.

Funding: The SSHRC Doctoral Award may be held at a US institution. Students should also consult the Queen's School of Graduate Studies’s external funding page



General Information: Education UK provides information about degrees, courses, funding, studying in Britain, and includes a budget planner and links to online applications.