This church at the corner of Princess and Clergy Streets played an important role in Queen's early history. It was the main Presbyterian Church in Kingston in the 19th century and was thus a natural gathering place for the university's founders.
When Presbyterian leaders in Upper Canada decided to found the university in 1839, that important meeting took place at St Andrew's. The first meeting of Queen's Board of Trustees also took place at the church in 1840.
The university's Royal Charter of 1841 recognized St Andrew's importance by stipulating that Queen's must be located no further than three miles from the church. There was an intimate relationship between Queen's faculty and St Andrew's leaders for decades, most obvious between 1846 and 1853 when the Rev John Machar was both principal of Queen's and head of the church.
The church was originally built in 1820, but burned down in 1888. The current church was built in 1890.