This department in the Faculty of Medicine was founded in 1895, when Dr. Walter Connell became Queen's first head of Pathology and Bacteriology. In 1919, Bacteriology and Pathology became separate departments, with Dr. Guilford Reed becoming the first head of Bacteriology.
This department was renamed Microbiology and Immunology in the late 1960s. Teaching and research in the department originally focused on infectious diseases and bacteriology, and during the Second World War some members of the department worked on top-secret research in biological warfare for the Canadian government.
The department has been closely associated with the provincial Public Health Laboratory in Kingston since the latter was founded in 1907 with Dr. Connell as regional bacteriologist and pathologist.
Learn more about the Department of Microbiology and Immunology...