Dr. Everend Lester Bruce was a Queen's alumnus who graduated from Science in 1909 and obtained his Bachelor of Arts in 1911. He did his graduate work at Columbia University, from which he obtained his Masters in 1912 and a PhD in 1915.
After teaching for a time at the University of Wisconsin, he returned to Queen's in 1920 as Professor of Mineralogy. In 1930, he became the Miller Memorial Research Professor of Geology, a position he held until his death in 1949.
Throughout his career, Dr. Bruce was recognized as a leading scholar in Pre-Cambrian geology and he also conducted extensive fieldwork. He worked for the Geological Society of Canada from 1914-1919 and then for various mining and petroleum companies before taking a post with the CNR in 1927. He also worked for the Quebec Department of Mines.
During his time at Queen's, Bruce was enthusiastically involved not only in his own research, but also in the affairs of Queen's and the community of Kingston.
A wing in Miller Hall is named in his honour.