The Faculty of Education has, as one of its major responsibilities, the offering of Ontario College of Teachers additional qualifications courses for Ontario elementary and secondary teachers. A selection of Technological Education ABQ’s courses is offered on-campus in the summer session. All other courses are offered online in the Fall, Winter, Spring Intersession, and Summer sessions. Information about course offerings may be obtained from the Office of Continuing Teacher Education:
The academic regulations governing these courses are in most cases the same as for courses in the BEd/DipEd program and are found in other sections of this Calendar. It is expected that any candidate registering in these courses will be familiar with both the College of Teachers regulations and those of this Faculty.
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for registration in these courses as contained in Regulation 184/97 of the Ontario College of Teachers Act and any additional requirements established by the Faculty. A summary of the current requirements is presented below:
A - ADDITIONAL BASIC QUALIFICATION (ABQ)
One-session ABQ courses in Primary, Junior, Intermediate, and Senior divisions are designed for teachers who wish to qualify in an additional division. In each case, a candidate for an ABQ must:
1. Hold a Certificate of Qualification (COQ);
2. Hold an acceptable university degree.
In addition, candidates for ABQ Intermediate and ABQ Senior must submit original transcripts confirming:
1. Three full-year university courses in the teaching subject; OR
2. For candidates who already have an Intermediate basic qualification, a minimum of two full-year university courses in the subject area.
1. Five full-year university courses in the teaching subject; OR
2. For candidates who already have a Senior basic qualification, a minimum
of two full-year university courses in the subject area is required.
B - THREE-SESSION ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION COURSES (AQ)
Candidates for Part 1 must:
1. Hold a COQ or Interim COQ*
*Applicants who hold an Interim COQ may have different or additional prerequisite criteria for registration as required by the Ontario College of Teachers. These criteria will be outlined on their Interim COQ.
i. To register in Part 1 of Primary Education, Junior Education, or Intermediate Education, the applicant's COQ must show a basic qualification in the corresponding division.
ii. Applicants with a COQ or Interim COQ showing qualifications in Technological Education are eligible to register only in the following Queen's three-session courses: Integration of Information and Computer Technology Instruction, Cooperative Education, English as a Second Language, Guidance and Career Education, and Special Education.
iii. Admission to Part 2 of some three-session AQ courses may be granted to candidates who hold a basic qualification in the same area.
iv. French as a Second Language Part 1 candidates must meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted to the course:
A. Provide official transcripts showing successful completion of five full-year university French courses (e.g., linguistics, literature, etc.); OR
B. Provide official transcripts showing successful completion of a university degree program in which the official language was French; OR
C. Achieve the following minimum scores on the TESTCan French language competency test:
5.0 on the listening/reading/speaking components; and
4.5 on the writing component
The TESTCan French competency test is offered through the Second Language Institute at the University of Ottawa. For registration details, please visit www.testcan.uottawa.ca/. The results sent directly to the Office of Continuing Teacher Education, Faculty of Education, Queen's University, Duncan McArthur Hall, Room A 113, Kingston, Ontario K7M 5R7.
Candidates for Part 2 must:
1. Hold a COQ or Interim COQ indicating successful completion of Part 1;
2. Submit (by fax or mail) a Confirmation of Teaching Experience form confirming a minimum of one year of successful teaching experience after teacher certification.
PART 3 (SPECIALIST)
Candidates for Part 3 must:
1. Hold a COQ or Interim COQ indicating successful completion of Part 2;
2. Submit (by fax or mail) a Confirmation of Teaching Experience form confirming a minimum of two years of successful teaching experience after teacher certification, with one year in the subject area.
C - HONOUR SPECIALIST
Candidates for Honour Specialist courses must:
1. Hold a COQ or Interim COQ;
2. Provide official university transcript(s) confirming:
a) A university degree showing completion of 20 full-year courses; AND
b) A minimum 'B' average in 9 full-year courses in the subject;
3. Submit (by fax or mail) a Confirmation of Teaching Experience form confirming a minimum of two years of successful teaching experience after teacher certification, with one year in the subject area in Ontario.
Preparation for an Honour Specialist qualification in General Science must include a minimum of one full-year university course in each of biology, chemistry, and physics.
D - HONOUR SPECIALIST TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATION
1. OCT MEMBERSHIP
We will use the OCT number you provide during online registration to confirm that your Certificate of Qualification shows:
- certification in 3 technological education subjects, one of which is in both the Grades 9/10 and 11/12 levels OR
- certification in 4 technological education subjects at the Grades 9/10 level and one Three-Part Specialist OR
- certification in 2 technological education subjects, both of which are at the Grades 9/10 and 11/12 levels.
2. YOUR ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS
Your transcript(s) must show:
- The equivalent of one full year of academic study at the university or college level for which a SSGD was required for admission.
3. CONFIRMATION OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE FORM
Please have this form signed by a supervisory official for your school confirming that you have two years of teaching experience (since becoming a certified teacher), one of which is in the subject area of this course. Note
A qualification on the COQ in Design and Technology Part 1 or Computer Studies-Computer Technology Part 1 will be considered equivalent to one basic level entry for the sole purpose of meeting the requirements for registration in Honour Specialist in Technological Education.
The registration form must be fully completed online through the Continuing Teacher Education website and submitted along with the appropriate documentation by the relevant deadline date. Candidates for Part 2 and Specialist courses must have the teaching experience form completed and signed by the appropriate supervisory officer.
Candidates are required to drop their course on SOLUS if they decide to withdraw from a course. Failure to do so may result in financial penalty or a failing grade in the course.
The University reserves the right to cancel any course due to insufficient enrolment or if an instructor is not available. Course offerings are subject to Faculty approval pending discussions with the Ontario College of Teachers.