Bader International Study Centre


at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.



at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.

site header

Schengen Visas

How do I apply for a Schengen visa?

Travel to the Schengen area is relatively easy.  Generally speaking with a Schengen visa, you may enter one country and travel freely throughout the Schengen region during the validity of the visa. Internal border controls are limited with no or few stops and checks.

The name "Schengen" originates from a small town in Luxembourg where in March 1995, seven European Union countries signed a treaty to end internal border checkpoints and controls. More countries have joined the treaty over the past years. At present, there are 25 Schengen countries, all in Europe.

If you are travelling on a passport issued by a country other than Canada, the United States, or an EU member country you may require a Schengen Visa to participate in the Winter Mid-Term Trip in Continental Europe or the Mid-Term Trips in the Summer programs.

Schengen Countries/Territories
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Please note that the UK and Ireland are not a part of the Schengen agreement.

Where do I apply for a Schengen visa?

A Schengen visa is applied for at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen country which you will be spending the most nights on your trip to the Schengen Space. If you are only visiting one country on your trip then you apply for your visa at the Consulate of this Schengen country. The forms for the application can be found on the Embassy website of the country that you are applying to.

Visa fees, eligibility criteria and documentation required vary according to which type of Schengen visa you need and the country you are applying to. You should check the website of the relevant embassy before making your application. Applications should be made as early as possible, in case there are any unexpected delays in processing the application. 

What documents are required for the application?

  • Student status letter (available from the ASC) confirming your course dates and details of your course of study.
  • Itinerary (hotel booking or invitation letter) at least for the first few days.
  • Proof of medical insurance and repatriation certificate.
  • Passport.
  • Relevant fee.
  • Proof of funding for the trip.

When do I apply for a Schengen visa?

If you require a Schengen visa you need to apply before travelling.

  • If you are studying at the BISC on a Short-Term Study visa, you must apply in your home country/country of residence and not in the UK. 
  • If you are studying at the BISC on a Tier 4 visa, you will typically have time to apply when in the UK.
  • Please contact the Experiential Learning Office for guidance.

Do I have to have travel insurance?

Travel insurance including medical cover and repatriation is required when you apply for your Schengen visa (actual repatriation clause needs to be presented to the Consulate). It must cover the duration of the requested visa - annual insurance may be required if you are requesting a multi-entry visa. Please be aware that if your travel insurance is purchased from a UK provider you will be repatriated to the UK unless you make a special arrangement with the insurer.

Multiple Schengen visa

A multiple entry Schengen visa will allow the holder several entries into the Schengen area, allowing you to return to the UK and then re-enter the Schengen area at a later date.  You will need to have an itinerary, including accommodation bookings for each trip that you are planning to make.

Not all embassies issue multiple entry visas some prefer to only issue a single entry visa to cover you for the specific trip you are going on.

How long does my UK visa need to be valid for?

Generally you need to have at least three months left on your UK immigration visa at the time you return from your trip.

How long does my passport need to be valid for?

Your passport will need to be valid for at least six months when making a Schengen Visa application.