Bader International Study Centre


at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.



at Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.

site header

Safety Planning

Going abroad brings with it certain risks and responsibilities. Being an informed traveller can help to minimize certain hazards, but cannot prevent all accidents. Additional online resources offered by the Queen’s University International Centre, will help support you while abroad.  

When you arrive at the Castle, the staff there will also provide you with instructions about what to do in the event of an emergency.

The Emergency Support Program (ESP)

Queen’s University International Centre has developed the Emergency Support Program (ESP).  Students attending the Castle are required to create and a low-risk activity record in the Off-campus Activity Safety Policy (OCASP) on-line planning tool, and submit it at least 3 weeks prior to departure.  This record can be accessed and used by the Emergency Support Program to assist you while abroad. Completion of this record requires you to participate in the Queen’s pre-departure orientation (included in the on-line process noted above).

When completing your OCASP record, you will be given the opportunity to appoint one or two designated emergency contacts.  In the event of an emergency, Queen’s University can contact that person(s) on your behalf.  You should be sure to inform your designated emergency contacts about this. Emergency Support Program participants normally are informed by Queen’s, via email, of emergency circumstances that may directly or indirectly impact their health or safety.  

Create a Low-Risk Record

To create a low-risk record in the OCASP system, you will require a Queen’s NetID. All Queen’s students should already have a NetID (your NetID is the first part of your Queen’s email address; if your email address is, your NetID is 1abc2).  If you do not have a Queen’s NetID, follow these steps to obtain one:

  1. Read the Queen's University Computer User Code of Ethics.
  2. Go to Manage my Profile
    1. Under “Students” select “Activate your NetID” and follow the steps
    2. You will need your Queen’s ID number, which appears on your BISC Admission Letter.
  3. Record your Queen’s NetID and password in a safe place. You will never be asked by Queen’s University and/or the BISC for your password.
  4. To protect your information, close the web browser window once you have recorded your NetID and password.

Before you leave for the Castle you will receive an Emergency Contact Card from Queen’s University.  The information contained on this card can also be accessed online at Your Safety Abroad. If you are in need of emergency support while abroad this card will allow you or someone acting on your behalf to contact Queen’s 24 hours a day, seven days a week, collect.

The telephone number is +1 (613) 533-6111 and, as noted above, collect calls will be accepted.  Calling the emergency number will initiate the emergency protocol at Queen’s University, which will aim to support you in dealing with the emergency at hand in an efficient and effective manner, and with the interests of you and your family as the top priority. 

To learn more please refer to the Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy page on the Queen’s Environmental Health and Safety website.

To register your up-coming off-campus activity, access the OCASP 2.0 On-line Planning Tool on the Queen’s Environmental Health and Safety website.

Staying Safe in the UK and While Travelling

We take your safety and well-being very seriously. However, we cannot guarantee a risk-free environment any more than we could do so for a student studying in Canada. The best way you can remain safe is to know what the risks are, be aware, be responsible, and follow the advice of Queen's and BISC staff, as well as read the information and guidance below.

  • Queen’s University makes every effort to monitor conditions in the regions where students are studying/working/travelling abroad and we strongly encourage you to do the same. Emergency Support Program participants normally are informed by Queen’s, via email, of emergency circumstances that may directly or indirectly impact their health or safety. The following list will assist you in keeping abreast of what is happening in your host country.
  • You are strongly encouraged to register with your home country’s embassy in the UK. Canadians can register online with Global Affairs Canada.

Stay Connected
To help you remain safe we encourage you to keep the following information close to hand when travelling:
  • The Bader Hall Reception number: 0044 1323 834400
  • The location and contact information of the local police and other local emergency support services (e.g. the equivalent numbers to “911”) - 999 in the UK and 112 in Europe.
  • The Emergency Contact Number for Queen’s University, provided on the Emergency Contact Card (+1 (613) 533-6111).
  • Contact information for your travel providers (e.g. airline, bus company, etc.) as well as information regarding changing/obtaining tickets in the host country.
  • Address and telephone number of the Embassy for your home country.
  • Local contacts for support (friends, other Castle students)
  • Itinerary for departing host country (leave copies with local and family contacts)
  • Emergency contact information for family and friends at home
  • Alternative contact in the event your primary emergency cannot be reached
  • Insurance (review your health insurance for implications of civil unrest; purchase trip cancellation insurance; ensure your insurance information is readily accessible; know the relevant phone numbers for your policy; know how to access your insurance from abroad)

In the Event of an Emergency While Abroad

If you are in a situation that declines to the point your welfare is threatened, you should:

  • Contact the local authorities for immediate assistance
  • Speak with the contact person at the Castle
  • Contact your local embassy for assistance
  • Contact Queen’s Security using the number on their Emergency Contact Card to report on the situation and to initiate the Emergency Protocol
  • If the situation warrants, contact your insurance company (emergency medical, travel arrangements, etc.)