Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

Official Documentation

What is an official document?

An official document must:

  • bear the original institutional seal, stamp, or signature
  • be in the original language
  • be sent directly by your school in a sealed school envelope to:

     Undergraduate Admission
     Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street,
     Queen's University
     Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7L 3N6 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Transcripts mailed directly from the student will only be accepted if they are forwarded by the student in the original signed and sealed envelope. Transcripts that have been previously opened by the student and then forwarded will not be accepted.    

Please note that photocopies will be accepted only if they are certified by the school principal, head or counsellor. They must be sent from the school in a sealed school envelope.      

Notarized copies are not acceptable.

What if my official documents are in a language other than English?

    All students with non-English transcripts must:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
  1. Submit an official transcript(s) in the original language subject to the guidelines above.
  2. Submit a copy of the official transcript(s) in the original language accompanied by a certified translation. 
  3.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                A certified translation must be issued by one of the following:   
  • The Canadian consulate, high commission or embassy in the country where the documents were issued;
  • A translator accredited by a professional association of translators in Canada. To obtain the name of an accredited translator, contact the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) at 1.­800.­234.5030 (within Canada only) OR 613.241.­2846 (e­mail:; website: www.
  • A translator who has received accreditation through a federal, provincial or municipal government in Canada. 


    If ATIO is unable to provide a translator for the language you require, you may contact COSTI Immigrant Services at 416.­534.­7400, ext. 222, fax: 416.­534.­2482, or to arrange for an acceptable translation.

      The translator must include:
    • a photocopy of the document(s) from which the translation was prepared   
    • an original statement indicating:
    • that the translation is accurate and authentic;
    • that the translator belongs to one of the categories listed above (identification number and/or seal, name, address, and telephone number required);
    • their printed name and signature 

NOTE:  Documents submitted to Queen's University in support of an application become the property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant.

At our discretion, Queen’s may request original documents and/or submit documents for verification to the institutions that issued them.

Please do not submit additional information (e.g. letters of reference, certifications) as they will not be considered by the Selection Committee and will be destroyed.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000