Please enable javascript to view this page in its intended format.

Queen's University

First Year Program Information

Frequently Asked Questions:

When will I select my first year courses?

Faculty of Arts and Science (includes Arts, Science, Kinesiology, Physical and Health Education and Bachelor of Music)

Upon entering first year, students are admitted to the Faculty of Arts and Science into one of the following degree programs: Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Bachelor of Science (Honours), Bachelor of Science (Honours) Specialization in Kinesiology, Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (Honours), or Bachelor of Music. Most first-year students have been admitted as BAH or BSCH, Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science students, and will have the task of selecting the courses that they will take in their first-year of studies based on their interests and goals for a future "Plan" (or subject of concentration).

Students who are admitted to direct entry programs (BSCH KINE, BPHE, BFA or BMUS), have limited choices in their first year as the majority of their program is prescribed to them.  If you fall into one of these categories, you will only need to choose your elective courses, if applicable.

Students will receive information on registration in June, including where to find their enrolment appointment time.  The enrolment appointment is the earliest time a student can register for courses.

The course selection periodnormally runs for 3 weeks in July of each year.

Students will also have the opportunity to add and drop course during the Open Enrolment period (the first 3 weeks of September). Please refer to the " 10 steps to Registration" on the Arts and Science webpage (

Bader International Study Centre Students

If you are entering the first year program in England at the Bader International Study Centre (BISC), you will have a separate Summer Orientation Academe and Registration (SOAR) session run by the International Programs Office in the Faculty of Arts and Science.

Engineering and Applied Science, Commerce, or Nursing Students

If you are a student in the Engineering & Applied Science, Commerce, or Nursing programs, your first year courses will be selected for you. You will be contacted by your respective faculty office during the summer months.

Back to Top

Do I need physics for the Life Sciences program?

If you wish to obtain an Honours (four-year) degree in the Life Sciences, you will need to take one of PHYS 117, 106, or 104. Physics 4U or equivalent is recommended and a 4U or equivalent course in Mathematics is required. PHYS 117 is the recommended Physics course for students planning to select Life Science as their Plan.

For additional information, please visit

Back to Top

Can I transfer into a different program at Queen's after first year?

 If you wish to switch to another program, it is recommended that you first contact an academic advisor in your home Faculty.

If you wish to switch to another faculty, please contact Undergraduate Admission and ask about a Cross-Faculty transfer.

Back to Top


When do I select my plan (i.e. major)?

If you are an Arts and Science student, you will select your degree plan (i.e. major) at the end of your first year. When you are beginning the registration process for your second year, you will be required to request your degree concentration. Please note that many programs do have first year grade cutoffs required to proceed to second year. Please read the individual departmental regulations in the Arts and Science Calendar for more information ( ). 

If you are a student in Applied Science, you will select your discipline in the latter stages of your first year.

Back to Top

What do I need to get into Queen's Faculty of Law?

Further information for prospective law students is available on the Queen’s Law Web page

Back to Top

What do I need to get into Queen's School of Medicine?

Further information for prospective medicine students and about Queen's School of Medicine, is available on the Queen’s School of Medicine prospective student web page .

Back to Top

What do I need to get into other graduate and professional programs?

Many of our undergraduate students decide to pursue graduate and professional programs upon their graduation. In fact, our undergraduate students are well represented in graduate and professional programs at Queen’s University, across the country and around the world.

It is impossible to list requirements for all graduate and professional programs as Queen’s alone offers 48 Masters degree and 34 Doctoral degree programs. In addition to Queen’s University’s School of Medicine and Faculty of Law, some other program options include: Occupational Threapy; Physical Therapy; Rehabilitation Science; Urban and Regional Planning; Industrial Relations; Public Administration; Masters of Business Administration (MBA); as well as Masters and PhD programs in the Faculty of Arts and Science, Applied Science, Education, Nursing and Kinesiology and Health Studies.

For more information about our Graduate Studies programs, please visit: .

Back to Top

Can't find your question? Write to us!

Email with the heading "Question from FAQ Web Page" in the subject line. Please include your full name and OUAC reference number in the email to help us respond promptly.

Back to Top

Kingston, Ontario, Canada. K7L 3N6. 613.533.2000