Ellis Hall 321 - Team-Based
“It exceeded my expectations. I've been able to bring in more visual and audio material into the lectures because the technology and space are conducive to such an approach.”—Instructor
This classroom allows for multiple groups of different sizes opportunities to be actively engaged in their own learning and collaborating with one another with or without learning technology.
- Chairs on wheels with rectangle tables that seat 8 (potential for groups of 4)
- Each table has 1 monitor at the end not connected to the other table. These will probably be 22” 1080p 16/9 monitors to keep them from interfering with line-of-sight as much as possible (the top of the display will be around 14” from the table surface).
- Where the two tables connect, per table, there are 4 power outlets, a VGA with audio and an HDMI cable, an amplified speaker and 2 buttons allowing students to select between VGA and HDMI.
- A podium with an installed Windows PC with an interactive display, an LCD touch screen controller, an ethernet jack, a ceiling mounted document camera, a USB cable connected to the interactive display, and VGA with audio and HDMI connectivity for the instructor’s device
- In “collaboration mode”, each table will work independently (audio heard and video seen at each table corresponds to the device plugged in at each table)
- In “presentation mode”, the same audio and video will be seen/heard at each table.
- The instructor can choose to display his/her own display/audio or any one table’s display/audio to the monitor of all tables.
- The microphones will probably be one wireless lavalier for the instructor and push-to-talk mics at each table.
“In a lecture hall I never have to opportunity to talk with my class mates but the format of this class, and the room itself really made that possible, and made the class more enjoyable. I also really liked the fact that I built a better relationship with my professor, I felt like I could have a comfortable discussion with him, and that I contributed to my learning through interactive discussions.”—2nd year student
“ I definitely got a lot more out of the class than I would have in a lecture hall, and I went to class more often and stayed awake/paid more attention.”—3rd year student
“I learned a lot in this class and I felt accountable to my teammates to learn the material so I worked a lot harder on my own time.”—3rd year student
"Ellis 321 was a wonderful experience. It was a great environment to envision and test what is possible.” —Instructor
“Overall, I am very impressed and would like to teach every course in the active learning classrooms.” —Instructor