Queen's University Queen's University
Search Type

Academic Support

The transition to university life is a big one – and part of it is adjusting to the challenges and workload that are part of being a Queen’s student. At Queen’s you are never alone. We have many offices dedicated to helping you learn, think, and do.

Teaching Assistants

Teaching Assistants' (TAs) work directly impacts the lives of undergraduates and their learning. The majority of TAs are graduate students and are typically responsible for grading undergraduate assignments and exams, leading tutorials, holding office hours, and providing general academic support to students. TAs are trained centrally through the Centre for Teaching and Learning and through their respective departments, ensuring that they are learned in new teaching developments, student interaction, etc.

The Learning Commons

[Students working together]

The Queen's Learning Commons (QLC) is both a hub of services supporting formal academic programs and a meeting place within Stauffer Library. It encompasses physical and online environments, accommodating different approaches to learning.

The QLC provides resources, workshops and seminars, and one-on-one professional consultations for students who want to enhance or develop their skills.

The QLC is composed of

Disability Services of HCDS

Disability Services assists students with disabilities in many ways, including providing advocacy and support as well as recommending accommodations. Its mission is to promote educational equity for students with disabilities, and to assist those students in pursuing a university education.

Note: If you are a student with a disability and think you may require academic accommodations, you must register with the Disability Services Office after you accept your offer of admission. If you have a learning disability or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, you must send in your most recent psycho-educational assessment as early as possible, before coming to Queen’s, so that advising staff can review it in advance of your appointment.

Academic Counselling & Tutoring

No matter what faculty or school you belong to at Queen's, there are people on staff to help you with your academics.

Faculty/School/Gov't Service
Faculty of Arts and Science
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Graduate Studies Advice on Supervisory Relationships at Graduate School
Office of Post-Doctoral Training
School of Business Academic Advisors/Commerce Counsellors (book appointments through the Commerce portal)
School of Computing Academic Advisors
School of Music Academic Advising
School of Nursing Academic Advisors
Arts and Science Undergraduate Society (ASUS) ASUS Peer Tutoring
Queen's Commerce Society BrainTrust
Queen's University Computing Students' Association (COMPSA) COMPSA tutoring
Queen's Engineering Society EngLinks
Society of Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS) SGPS Student Advisors

Centre for Teaching and Learning

The Queen’s Centre for Teaching and Learning offers a wide array of programs and services that are designed to meet the teaching and learning needs of students, post-doctoral fellows, staff, and faculty members.

Emerging Technology Centre

The Emerging Technology Centre is a state-of-the-art multimedia facility for the Queen’s community to collaborate and investigate new technologies related to teaching and learning. The Centre provides a platform for students, faculty, and staff to evaluate and work with new technology such as video editing, podcasting, tablet computing, and even 3D modelling animation.

Office of Health Sciences Education

The Office of Health Sciences Education exists to provide leadership in scholarship and innovation in teaching and learning. Staff work with faculty and educational leaders on postgraduate and undergraduate medical education to ensure that teaching practices and curriculum design are in keeping with the latest advancements in teaching and learning. The Office also supports faculty wishing to undertake educational scholarship and research and education.

Student Government Services

  • Academic Grievance Centre, AMS: The Academic Grievance Centre is the place to go if you have any questions or concerns about academic grievances, discipline, or regulations.

  • Academic Affairs Commission, AMS: The Academic Affairs Commission is responsible for advocating on behalf of students and supporting students in all matters of an academic nature.

  • Rector: The University Rector, among other duties, acts as an advisor and advocate for students in academic grievance procedures.